Dark Spot On The Head

• Thread starter Ayane
  • Start date

Ayane

HI all!
I'm trying to figure out what's up with my betta girl. She's in a sorority tank with 4 other female betta, they've established a hierarchy and the water is stable.

So a few days ago I notice she has an especially dark spot on her head (she has a dark head to begin with and this is darker still)
Tank params:
Ammonia:0-0.25 (my tap water is at 1ppm and this about 14 hours after 25% water change, dosing with prime and some stability)
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate : haven't gotten an accurate read but heading to my LFS today to have them check.
Ph:8 (is high for them but they've been locally acclimated for months)

Other notes : I have several Cichlid caves that they don't really use and 3 medium pieces of driftwood leaking tannins they also have a little rubber nose pleco that takes care of algae. No plants atm, I only use 2 sponge filter with an air stones for bio filtration and I gravel vac / wc about once a week

Pics below, she does tend to show stress stripes on occasion but never for more than an hour at a time

Attachments

Ronniethewitch

Well Known
'Hole in the head' or hexatimiasis (spelling) is an actual disease and I would look that up as the possible cause. It doesn't just look dark, it looks indented.

Ayane

Ronniethewitch said:
'Hole in the head' or hexatimiasis (spelling) is an actual disease and I would look that up as the possible cause. It doesn't just look dark, it looks indented.
I had thought of that but it seems strange given her tank params. Also that diagnosis is horrifying. I'm new to fish keeping so this would be my first personal experience with it.

Any tips for treatment? I have a hospital task but I'm quarantining a new fish right now in it.
Would a salt dip/bath help? (epsom salt-10min)
I'm in Canada and they put a recent ban on seachem treatments so we only have "natural" remedies available.

Ronniethewitch

Well Known
Oh good Lord. The treatment for it is antibiotics- strong ones (metridonozole). Can't you order on-line? I don't think they're worried about fish meds being smuggled by the single dose size...

Ayane

I'll take a look at getting some. And throwing together something to quarantine her.

Will this metridonozole work with prime and stability? I have some seeded media but it's only 2 weeks old from my main tank.

Ronniethewitch

Well Known
It will work with prime and stability. Unfortunately it will affect your good bacteria. It's the only treatment I know of but maybe with some research there is another option. I bought a liquid in an orange bottle when I first started and bought a ton of stuff I've never used-but it leaked and I've thrown it out...thankfully I've not needed it. I'll see if I can find the name of it now.

Hopefully someone else will jump in with their two cents whilst we have a search...

Ronniethewitch

Well Known
So if you're afraid to order online, it says that a vet can prescribe you what you need in canada. The only other treatment was also an antibiotic...

On another note, it said it can be caused by lack of minerals in the diet- not always caused by poor conditions.

I am sorry that I am not more helpful to you- hopefully someone else will be.

Top Bottom