Dark Spot On Gill Area Corydora

Fayth

Member
One of my corydoras has a small dark spot right by the “flap-like” covering of its gills (I don’t know the proper terminology). I’m not sure how long it’s been there, but I noticed it probably around 2-3 weeks ago. It’s not exactly a spot on his scales but almost more like a very small peice of something attached to him, I will put s below. I don’t know what it is but it is slightly frightening to think it might be adome sort of parasite or something. At this point he has been acting completely normal as far as I can see. I’m not sure what to do, any advice would be great. I’m just worried if I treat him for something that he may not have, it may make him feel worse, but also if it will end up harming him, I would want to be proactive (I also have 4 other cory catfish, 1 gouramI and a mystery snail if that’s relevant) . Thank you for any advice.
 

Nick72

Member
I see what you mean.

I also notice he has a strange hump immediately behind his head, which doesn't look normal to me.

I'd be worried but I wouldn't want to guess as to the cause.

Hopefully someone with more experience will come along.

Edit: I think the hump is normal it's more that his head appears sunken immediately before the hump.
 
  • Thread Starter

Fayth

Member
Nick72 said:
I see what you mean.

I also notice he has a strange hump immediately behind his head, which doesn't look normal to me.

I'd be worried but I wouldn't want to guess as to the cause.

Hopefully someone with more experience will come along.

Edit: I think the hump is normal it's more that his head appears sunken immediately before the hump.
That’s kind of true, I’m not sure though it might just be the way the pictures were taken because his head dosent doesn’t seem noticeably different than any of my other cories in real life. I’m definitely not an expert by any means though lol.
 

DoubleDutch

Member
That "bump" behind the gill is quite normal.
The red spot isn't of course. Could be damaged by scavaging through the substrate.
 

Elkwatcher

Member
The plant on the Cory's head is just cutting off part of the view. There probably is no bump in reality.
 
  • Thread Starter

Fayth

Member
Elkwatcher said:
The plant on the Cory's head is just cutting off part of the view. There probably is no bump in reality.
Yeah I think it’s just the angle of the picture also. I wasn’t worried about his head being bumpy, I’m more worried about the black spot behind his gill.
 
  • Thread Starter

Fayth

Member
DoubleDutch said:
That "bump" behind the gill is quite normal.
The red spot isn't of course. Could be damaged by scavaging through the substrate.
Which red spot?
 

DoubleDutch

Member

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Log in or register to view



Top Bottom