Dark Spot On Gill Area Corydora

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Fayth, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Fayth

FaythNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +5
    One of my corydoras has a small dark spot right by the “flap-like” covering of its gills (I don’t know the proper terminology). I’m not sure how long it’s been there, but I noticed it probably around 2-3 weeks ago. It’s not exactly a spot on his scales but almost more like a very small peice of something attached to him, I will put images below. I don’t know what it is but it is slightly frightening to think it might be adome sort of parasite or something. At this point he has been acting completely normal as far as I can see. I’m not sure what to do, any advice would be great. I’m just worried if I treat him for something that he may not have, it may make him feel worse, but also if it will end up harming him, I would want to be proactive (i also have 4 other cory catfish, 1 gourami and a mystery snail if that’s relevant) . Thank you for any advice.

Attached Files:

2. Nick72

Nick72Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +297
    Experience:
    Just started
    I see what you mean.

I also notice he has a strange hump immediately behind his head, which doesn't look normal to me.

I'd be worried but I wouldn't want to guess as to the cause.

Hopefully someone with more experience will come along.

Edit: I think the hump is normal it's more that his head appears sunken immediately before the hump.

3. OP
    OP
    Fayth

FaythNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +5
    That’s kind of true, I’m not sure though it might just be the way the pictures were taken because his head dosent doesn’t seem noticeably different than any of my other cories in real life. I’m definitely not an expert by any means though lol.

4. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +11,703
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    That "bump" behind the gill is quite normal.
    The red spot isn't of course. Could be damaged by scavaging through the substrate. [​IMG]

5. Elkwatcher

ElkwatcherWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +746
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    The plant on the Cory's head is just cutting off part of the view. There probably is no bump in reality.

6. OP
    OP
    Fayth

FaythNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +5
    Yeah I think it’s just the angle of the picture also. I wasn’t worried about his head being bumpy, I’m more worried about the black spot behind his gill.

7. OP
    OP
    Fayth

FaythNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +5
    Which red spot?

8. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +11,703
    Experience: