Dark Patches On Gold Severum Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by CraiginWales, Jun 24, 2019.

1. CraiginWalesValued MemberMember

Hi all
    I’m probably being overly cautious because I just lost a much loved SRD Flowerhorn. I treated both my tanks with eSHa 2000 (just incase there was cross contamination).
    Are these dark patches on my Gold Severum anything to worry about? My mate says it’s just discolouration from the treatment but I want to be sure. TIA IMG_0443.JPG

2. A201Well Known MemberMember

Fish with very light coloration, such as but not limited to albino varieties, often get small black blotches. It's usually just rouge pigment spots.
    In your case the dark blotches might be minor damage to the slime coat brought on by medication.

3. CraiginWalesValued MemberMember

Thanks. I’ll see to that now :)

4. chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

I believe it's a matter of diet. Gold Severums are not actually gold, they are oligomelanic. This translates as "reduced black". The normal black pigment is genetically suppressed, causing the natural yellow body color to show through. Often the only black pigment left is in the eyes.

However, occasionally one will see a Gold Severum with "dirty" marks like yours. This is from some of the natural melanophores developing despite the oligomelanic genes. I believe this is due to certain diets, though I am unable to test this theory. High protein foods often are used to make black fish blacker, and I suspect an overly meaty diet may do the same for various oligomelanic individuals. Severums need a considerable amount of vegetation in their diet, so too much high protein food might cause this.

I've occasionally seen these markings on Pink Convicts, as well.

5. CraiginWalesValued MemberMember

Fascinating. Thanks