Dark growth on Neon Tetra mouth

Status
Not open for further replies.

finnyc

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a neon tetra that has developed a growth on its mouth. I've been researching what it could be but it seems to be different to cotton-mouth and the fish seems to be as active as usual and eats fine so I am guessing it's not neon tetra disease.

The 90L tank has been set up since March and was cycled before any fish were introduced in April. We have Java Moss, two Anubias, Jungle Vallisnera and Bacopa planted. Water changes are ~20% each week. Fish are fed once a day from a variety of flakes, pellets, algae wafers and frozen food.

The current readings are:
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 10 - 20
pH - 8.2

Stocking is:

15 Neon Tetras
5 Panda Cory
60?? Red Cherry Shrimp (wasn't quite aware of just how fast 5 shrimp can multiply)

The only fish that has not made it, was a Panda Cory that died within a few days of purchase.

An album is attached, I've found out how hard it is to get a good shot of an individual tetra so I've included a few attempts.

If anyone could give some advice that would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't think it is. Last years there is an increasing amount of issues alike (mostly Neons / Cardinals).
The growths don't seem to be very contagious / lethal. I have a suspecion of an Iridovirus (Lymphocystis). In most cases trearment doesn't work (another pointing to a virus).

OP
F

finnyc

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks for the advice. So it sounds like I should try melafix (which doesn't seem to be too harsh of a medication) to see if it's cotton mouth., and if not look further towards the possibility of a virus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom