Dark edges around goldfish fins

moogie25

3 of my goldfish have been having problems with fin rot. though it has not improve, it's not getting better either. and lately 1 of them has dark black edges around his fins. what can it be?

last time i checked a few days ago, 0/0 ammonia/nitrite. 30 nitrate

will be doing at least 50% WC in the next hour or so.

Attachments

• IMG-4100.jpg
    IMG-4100.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG-4111.jpg
    IMG-4111.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG-4109.jpg
    IMG-4109.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 11

CrackerboxPalace

The dark edges are typically a sign of bacterial infection. What you need to do is reduce all stress factors in the tank. This means frequent 40-50% water changes and feeding high quality foods including plenty of greens for the goldfish. Adding indian almond leaves, alder cones, oak leaves etc. will stain your water brown, but they have effective antibacterial qualities and a calming effect for the fish. organic Rooibos tea also works, but in my experience it’s not as effective.

If there’s no improvement you could try a round of methylene blue or malachite green. dose according to the instructions. :)

moogie25

i recently purchased seachem kanaplex and was intending to use it to treat the fin rot...but have not. could i use kanaplex instead of the indian almond leaves or meth blue?

CrackerboxPalace

i recently purchased seachem kanaplex and was intending to use it to treat the fin rot...but have not. could i use kanaplex instead of the indian almond leaves or meth blue?
i believe so, i’ve just never used it myself. :)

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
pomfish
Replies
Views
SurferGirl
Replies
Views
Ouse
Replies