DAPHNIA..How to feed? How much to feed? How often to feed?? - Page 2

OP
voiceless_kat

voiceless_kat

Well Known
Reaction score
Ya, I have been doing that for the 6 gallon ( before this cycling period) and have ended up with a mouth ful a couple times!!! Oh well, anything for the fish!! I am going to also look into that one Phlox suggested. thanks.

antisen

Reaction score
Same thing happens to me sometimes. BLECH! ewww! I should probably buy a new one too, I like the one Phlox showed as well!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
antisen said:
Same thing happens to me sometimes. BLECH! ewww! I should probably buy a new one too, I like the one Phlox showed as well!
Maybe it would taste better with a spoonful of filter sludge? mmmm!

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I use the infamous TURKEY BASTER to get mine started. It takes a while but I crimp the tube and just squeeze the ball on the baster again until it is finally sucked through enough. I just could not get myself to do the put the thing in your mouth thing.....too chicken. I also have the battery operated sludge removers and battery operated syphons but it depends on what I am trying to do which one works best. The battery operated ones do not do a deep cleaning job.

I am also looking into getting one like the one Phloxface mentioned.

Rose

Phloxface

Well Known
Reaction score
That BiOrb cleaner is awesome! I had such problems getting suction going on my other gravel vac and especially in the Hex tank I would have to pump that thing up and down for 10 minutes to get it started! I was always worried about injurying Lava and the others in the process because they get in the way.
Now all it takes is 2 or 3 squeezes on the hand pump and the suction is going, strong! It emptys 2 gallons of water in less than a minute so you have to work fast! You can also turn it around and use it to put your clean water back into the tank. Cleaning and water changes take anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes now depending on tank size.

Just remember if you get it to cut the grill out from the inside of the tube. (I used wire clippers)  I guess they put it there to prevent fish from getting sucked up but there's no danger of that happening in our tanks. I found when I first used it with the grill all the dead leaves got clogged in there and when I pulled it out of the water the leaves emptied back into the water making a mess. With the grill removed it works great!

Muffymouse

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I just fill the entire thing with water stick the suction part in the tank while I hold the other end with my finger, stick it in the bucket below the level of the tank and let gravity do its thing Saves me having to possibly drink nasty fish water or work to hard to get things going. Though that vac thing you are talking about sounds like a great thing to have for my little 1.5 g tank. I'll have to look into it.

New Threads