Dan's Tank Of Mistakes | Page 4

Discussion in 'Fish Lore Aquarium Blogs' started by WD66, Jun 14, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    WD66

WD66Valued MemberMember

One other observation today is that the Oscar likes Cucumber!! Never saw a Oscar go after it like he does!! Water is clear and fish are very active. They love Shrimp and Krill. And my Plecos and Oscar love that but they both seem to like the cucumber too. Strange Oscar....

2. OP
    OP
    WD66

WD66Valued MemberMember

Well, I will be doing a big water change again. I got the nitrates back down about half of what i had. Ph dropped a bit after the water change.Went from 7.6 to 7.0. Thats not to good . Fish look good but will be on the lookout for any issues. Weird the ph dropped After I did the water change.Nitrates at 40ppm so i will half water change in a few days to help to keep them down. With most Cichlids live plants don't fair well so the only thing alive is the Potmos. Its floating not planted. The water here must have changed. even with ro water it dropped on the ph. Weird. I know some of the areas around here have water low or almost out. so far they say we are ok but i bet its getting low. I guess it could drop the ph.

3. OP
    OP
    WD66

WD66Valued MemberMember

Sorry Dawn, i hijacked your thread. But i think i have it here now.

4. ThePetPavilion

ThePetPavilionValued MemberMember

Cool.

5. OP
    OP
    WD66

WD66Valued MemberMember

My tests are looking good. Everything where its supposed to be.PH7.0, Ammonia0.5, Nitrite0.0, Nitrates10.0 Not bad for the middle of the week. Will check it again Tuesday. Weds, water change day...

6. OP
    OP
    WD66

WD66Valued MemberMember

Water Change done. Nitrates were on the high side so did a 75% water change. Keeping a eye on the tank for any issues. If that don't drop the nitrates i don't know what else to do. Had 80 ppm last night will check again this evening.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  7. OP
    OP
    WD66

WD66Valued MemberMember

Quick one, Ph 7.4 and Nitrate was 10ppm. That is the only thing i checked. Think about testing Saturday...will see.

8. OP
    OP
    WD66

WD66Valued MemberMember

Ok, I have been wondering what to do with the BIG rock on the right side of the tank. The only one who used it was the convict cichlid. Oscar would go over there but always left for the other two thirds of the tank. so.. I took the rock out yesterday while cleaning out the tank. I ended up cutting up the rock up into 3 pieces. I planned on two but i goofed and ended up with 3 pieces. Got shots of the three "new" rocks and the tank right now. Will look back to see if i have a good shot of that Big rock. Now if i can get my hands to quit hurting so i can do this...

Attached Files:

9. OP
    OP
    WD66

WD66Valued MemberMember

Here is a few of the new layout. Oscar is a show boat! Will try and get a few good ones later this evening. I think you can see the difference. Later

Attached Files:

10. OP
    OP
    WD66

WD66Valued MemberMember

Not sure why this happened but my little BN is dead. The Convict got him. He is the only one who messed with her. I got her back out of his mouth but to late. This makes me mad at a certain fish!!! Now i need to find another Blued Eyed Yellow BN! I am on the hunt.

11. ThePetPavilion

12. OP
    OP
    WD66

WD66Valued MemberMember

If i get another one it needs to be full grown. Let see if that convict can stick that in its mouth.

13. ThePetPavilion

Okay I'll look for some more.

14. OP
    OP
    WD66

WD66Valued MemberMember

I decided to go another direction. I found a 3+ inch Jack Dempsey and like her colors so i got her. With luck it will take a dislike of the convict! So far so good. It has taken a home in one of the rock caves and has pretty much chased everyone away. Looks really good, good color! She is about the same size as my Convict and Firemouth.

15. OP
    OP
    WD66

WD66Valued MemberMember

Nitrates are the only thing that needs attention. 40ppm. Everything else is good. These Poop Machines are doing there thing....:meh:

16. OP
    OP
    WD66

WD66Valued MemberMember

I finally got a shot of the new baby! She don't like to sit long for any pictures. So far the Firemouth and the Oscar seem to be buddy up. The convict is his usual self, Mean!! He will chase the red tail out of his rock! I have a feeling that she will clock the convict right out of the tank! That is after she gets older:hungover:

Attached Files:

17. OP
    OP
    WD66

WD66Valued MemberMember

Tests show 20ppm of nitrate. Everything else looks good. I think a 25% water change will work this week. Tank looks great, fish very nice with all there colors. Even my big pleco is looking good. Happy! wd

18. OP
    OP
    WD66

WD66Valued MemberMember

From above, I just did a 75% water change anyway. Looked better so i guess it was a good thing. Today is Saturday and tests are 7.6 ph, 0,25 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 10 ppm of Nitrate. Will check it again Tuesday. Weds. water change again. Spin the wheel..How much to change...

19. OP
    OP
    WD66

WD66Valued MemberMember

I think a 50% change should do it. Nitrates were 20.0 ppm. everything else is fine. Bed time. nite