Dan's Tank Of Mistakes

wd67
Did testing today, Everything good but the Nitrates. I will be doing a water change tomorrow as I will be in hospital Weds. Thinking 50% again. Fish and tank looks really good. Just need to figure out how I am going to take care of the tank if this surgery goes south. Not sure how strong if it goes right. Have to figure this one out...

Sheldon13
Did testing today, Everything good but the Nitrates. I will be doing a water change tomorrow as I will be in hospital Weds. Thinking 50% again. Fish and tank looks really good. Just need to figure out how I am going to take care of the tank if this surgery goes south. Not sure how strong if it goes right. Have to figure this one out...

The surgery won’t go South. It’ll go great!

wd67
From your mouth to Gods ears!!

wd67
I think it went good. Have some pain and doped up pretty good. Sleepy and am going to do that. Later, WD67

Sheldon13
I think it went good. Have some pain and doped up pretty good. Sleepy and am going to do that. Later, WD67

Oh! I thought it was going to be on Wednesday. I guess you just meant that you would still be in the hospital on Wednesday? Anyways I’m so happy everything went well. Take care of yourself.

wd67
Oh! I thought it was going to be on Wednesday. I guess you just meant that you would still be in the hospital on Wednesday? Anyways I’m so happy everything went well. Take care of yourself.
Should have been out Wednesday. They are keeping me till tomorrow for the draining still showing some bloody discharge. They want to remove the tube before letting me go. Getting the catheter out today. Some pt. Be glad when I am home. Let you know when I am back to the house. Wd67

wd67
Am home. Fish fed. None seem to be in any harm so all's good. Laying down for now. Neck hurts waiting for pills to kick in. See you around, wd67

Sheldon13
Am home. Fish fed. None seem to be in any harm so all's good. Laying down for now. Neck hurts waiting for pills to kick in. See you around, wd67

Yay! I’m glad you are back home. Heal up, friend and keep on top of that pain medicine. Better to prevent pain than reactively treat it.

wd67
Yeah, I know. Am having a bit of issue with figuring the amount of turn from left to right and up and down. Also finding that my arms hurt my neck area when I am trying to pull myself up front a reclined position. I do have enough turn that I can see out both rear mirrors on the truck. Note: didn't drive it just checked it out. I won't be able to drive till I am pretty much off the pain meds. I am getting tired and just took a pain pill so I am going to get off and go lay down for a nap. Latter, Sheldon13

Sheldon13
Yeah, I know. Am having a bit of issue with figuring the amount of turn from left to right and up and down. Also finding that my arms hurt my neck area when I am trying to pull myself up front a reclined position. I do have enough turn that I can see out both rear mirrors on the truck. Note: didn't drive it just checked it out. I won't be able to drive till I am pretty much off the pain meds. I am getting tired and just took a pain pill so I am going to get off and go lay down for a nap. Latter, Sheldon13

Lol definitely no driving for you! It’s good to know you can though, In case of an emergency. Are you alternating pain medicine? I assume you have some version of hydrocodone/acetaminophen combination. If you weren’t advised against it, you should be alternating with ibuprofen. Like if your prescription is every 6 hours, then give ibuprofen on the alternating 6 hours. (Ex prescription at noon, ibuprofen at 3pm, prescription at 6pm, ibuprofen at 9pm and so on). By the way I’m a perianesthesia nurse

wd67
Well, I can't take ibuprofen. Don't ask why but something to do with drugs I take I think. Had a bad reaction a few years ago. Also they did not want to give me anything but hydrocodone. Also antibiotics. And a steroid of some kind. Deb takes care of the meds I try and keep from hurting myself. I am finding it very hard to lay down in bed and use my tablet so I am in my office or man cave whatever using my computer. I am finding that I am getting a stiff neck. I hope I will get some of my movement back when the swelling goes down. I almost wish they had done this back in 1993 when I had the first surgery's done. I go back in a few weeks for another surgery on my lower back. I just hope this is really worth it.
Tested the water last night late, Nitrates are a bit high at 40ppm but everything else is good so I am going to try and leave it till Saturday. Have a friend who can help me do a water change. Just this bit up and I am getting more pain so I am back out of here for now, Back later, Dan

wd67
Tested water. nitrates high at 80pmm and ph drop to about 7.2. Tomorrow is waterchange day. Wife is going to help with this. Should be fun....

Sheldon13
Tested water. nitrates high at 80pmm and ph drop to about 7.2. Tomorrow is waterchange day. Wife is going to help with this. Should be fun....

Aww. Take it SLOOOOW

wd67
I will, but it needs to be done. This is gonna be fun...

Sheldon13
I will, but it needs to be done. This is gonna be fun...

Yep. Just don’t want you lugging around buckets of water or something

wd67
That won't happen. I am limited to 10 pds max. Deb don't want me lifting even that, so I won't be doing that. I have 2 drinking water hoses from the rv that I can use for the water change. I can gravel wash with one of the 5 gallon buckets. I am thinking about getting a python to do my changes with. Anyway, I have this for now and will get the filters done and water clean. Later, wd67

Sheldon13
I got a phython about 2 months ago and don’t know how I ever lived without it.

wd67
This will be my first. A 25 footer will work for me.

wd67
Wow, I really need to do a major water change!! I have a .50 ppm of Ammonia and 40 ppm of nitrate. Ph 7.5 and no nitrites. That's the highest I have seen in my tank since I started this tank!! I added prime to help till I can change this evening. need help with this one! I think about 75% change should do it.

wd67
One 75% waterchange done. Be glad when I get the Python!! This thing of using water hoses from outside to the tank inside is getting old fast. Got the prefilters cleaned and tank back up and fish swimming again. yey!!

kallililly1973
One 75% waterchange done. Be glad when I get the Python!! This thing of using water hoses from outside to the tank inside is getting old fast. Got the prefilters cleaned and tank back up and fish swimming again. yey!!
That's a win!.... Yes get a python or even the Aqueon equivalent its a game changer.... I've been running my 25' Aqueon for close to 3 years without a hitch its perfect.

wd67
Yep, I plan to for early Christmas. Even using the hoses and as easy it is, its a pain to do that. I end up taking a bath and that's fine in the summer but in the winter...not!! My bathroom is the next room over from the fish room. The sink is already set up for it so I just need the funds to do it.

wd67
I have been noticing a slower flow and a funny kind of taste, so... I changed the filters out on the RO unit. Its been what 4-5 months and they were so dirty. No wonder why the water tasted so bad!! Its no fun to change them but better that than trying to drink the city water! I am sure my babys will thank me for doing that.

wd67
Latest water specs. temp is 78, Ph 7.6, Ammonia is 0! I like that. Nitrate is 0. Nitrate 20 and that is cool. All the babys look great.

wd67
Forgot I had a picture of my Oscar. Hes about 7 inches now. Maybe a bit longer. He isn't camera happy and I have to snick up on him. Forget the tape measure! Now if I have some shrimp...

Attachments

• 20191124_155133.jpg
    20191124_155133.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 155
wd67
Today I did something different. I feed my babys Crickets!! Now you talk about crazy.. All the babys were having fun!!! First time I did that, but I think I will do that more often. I bought them frozen Krill for Christmas and the crickets were a Thanksgiving treat! I really loved them trying to get one in there mouth! All four banging into each other trying to get just one. I bought small ones this time. I think I will get the big ones for them next time. Who said fish are boring??

wd67
HI folks, I am needing info in my Albino Oscar. He seems to be loosing his sight. The other fish will come right up for there food but the oscar is just looking like he is just a fixture in the tank. Even putting food in front of him will not bite. If I let it drop right beside him around the eye he will go after it. I am worried he is going blind. Any ideas would help right now, Wd

SM1199
HI folks, I am needing info in my Albino Oscar. He seems to be loosing his sight. The other fish will come right up for there food but the oscar is just looking like he is just a fixture in the tank. Even putting food in front of him will not bite. If I let it drop right beside him around the eye he will go after it. I am worried he is going blind. Any ideas would help right now, Wd
I have a betta with partially lost sight, though she is not totally blind. Whatever I feed her has to either be in my fingers (she can see my big fingers but not the food) or touched against her mouth for her to bite it. If your oscar won't come up to the surface for food, you'll have to go to him to feed him. A fish food wand would work, but keep in mind the other fish might figure out the whole wand deal and eat the food before the oscar has the chance. You might have to give him his own tank if this ends up being the case and if you can't distract the other fish long enough to make sure the oscar gets to it. Keep an eye on his weight and make sure he's not losing any. There are types of wands you can buy online, and the big 10-inch tongs used to feed reptiles would also work ($7 on Chewy) depending on the food you feed, but I'm sure there's a way to DIY if you were so determined.

wd67
Thanks for the reply. From what I see, he is partly blind in both eyes. Sometimes he seems to have good vision and then he starts bumping into stuff. He will stay in one place above the rock on the left side for hours. He used to come right to the front of the tank doing the dog dance. He just don't seem to see me. If he goes completely blind, I will have to feed him by hand for sure. It's a shame. Will keep a eye on him about the loss of weight. Thanks again, Dan

wd67
Well, I haven't been here much. My hands shake pretty bad so hard to type without hitting the wrong keys. I have to see the keys I am hitting or it gets messed up. My canister from Marineland bit the dust. so I got a Sunsun 404b to try out. It has more flow rate than that Magniflow 220 junk I had. I cleaned my tank for junk on the gravel. I had very little to pick up with that new Sunsun. My babys are south american cichlids and can be messy eaters. I think my Oscar is the worst. this filter cleans it so much better than that Marineland 220 did.When I placed my media in that new filter it looks almost empty. I am planning to get more media. Looking for Pond Geru so I can get some of his media. Guess that is about all I have for now. later all.

wd67
Well, lost my Convict Cichlid It jumped tank thru a small opening that was barely big enough for him to do! He was showing what i thought was bloat. After seeing it manifest it turned out to be a tumor or something like that. the scales were raised so he definitely had something wrong. Last evening he wouldn't eat and the next morning went missing. So i am down to three. I am thinking that maybe the oscar might be hurting them. I see him chasing the Jack Dempsey around the tank but when jd is in his area oscar won't try anything. Same with the Firemouth. I am thinking that stress may have caused this. I can't re home any of them as the stores don't want them or are closed.
Well, i guess thats it for this log. Later all and stay safe, wd

wd67
Jack Dempsey was hitting on the Oscar pretty bad and he jumped tank last night and after flopping around (i guess) he died. From the looks he hit head on so i don't know what killed him the fall or the flopping around out of the tank. I am down to my Jack Dempsey and the Firemouth. Don't know what i would like to get to replace the Oscar. I know there are several fish that i could put into it, but i just am not sure what. I know that Petsmart don't have anything big enough for my tank. They had several Severians but they were less than 2 inches long so that would be fish food. They had a 3 inch red devil to, but I don't think that would be a good thing for the Firemouth. Gonna check Petco and our lfs to see if they have anything that sticks out. Later and stay safe, WD

wd67
The local fish store is trying to find me a larger Severian. I found one from the same store i got the albino blue eyed pleco. He has 4-5 inchers that would fit in this tank fine. We will know what am doing by next weekend. Later, Wd

wd67
Well, None Available. Seems no one is keeping there stock up with this pandemic going around. Not sure what else would hang in with the Jack Dempsey and Firemouth. The Firemouth is the dominate fish in this tank. Would love something that would give the firemouth a run for his money and help give the JD a break. That little fish is tearing up the tank but now that the Oscar is gone, i am putting all the rock back in the tank. Lets see if that will slow him down...

The other fish store is sold out. I know i should have bought it when i had a chance..

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Cooperman411
Replies
Views
Fishfriendkeeper
Replies
Views
NearMeBettas
Replies
Views