danios

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
just curious.....i have what i think are 4 girls and a boy in the tank, and figured that nature would take its course and eventually i'd at least get eggs, if not babies. however, i dont know what i'm looking for!! if anyone has any pictures of danio eggs i'd be grateful, or a description would be good?

thanks lots!!!!!!!!!!
Tan

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What kind of danios? Zebra? If so, they're white.

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score
Danio eggs will be very hard to see. Whenever I was actually taking the time to look through the water I had just vaccumed out... I could barely spot the clear eggs.
I'd say just wait a few days.. do a gravel vac... and scoop out the water a cup at a time and inspect it.
You'll probably find a number of fry.

MamaM

Valued Member
Reaction score
That's exactly what I do (vacuum & replace the fry from what I vacuumed)--I haven't ever seen the eggs, but have the fry! I am amazed at the speed the fry grow when allowed to swim in the tank, though! I have fry who are living in the rocks of my 1st tank, and I just let them be there and do their thing. They are still tiny. Then I had 4 fry who hitchhiked on a plant I transported from the 1st to the 2nd tank, and they are adolescent size--one is almost the size of the ones I bought from the fish store! When I get back from vacation, I am going to take the remaining rock fry and put into their own nursery tank so they can grow big too!

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Stradius011 said:
What kind of danios? Zebra? If so, they're white.
the girls are zebras and the boy is a leopard and i asked on here a while ago if they'd breed together as its a colour variance rather than a species variance. he certainly chases them about alot!
I keep looking among the rocks and under the log etc. there's loads of hiding places at gravel level. i lost 1 fry that was at water level (guppy i assume?) as theres just no shelter up there yet.
thanks everyone!
will keep looking!!!!!!!!!
tan

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Since Danios are egg-scatters the eggs could be anywhere. They are also notorious for eating their eggs. People who breed Danios usually put something like marbles in the bottom of the tank so the eggs fall where they can't get to them to eat them then remove mom and dad from the tank.
Carol

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
thanks butterfly. i'll put some more rocks in....bit like marbles!! (i have 3 tons of cobbles in front garden!!)
tan

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good idea!
Carol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom