Danios - When to feed food and how often Question

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by parvataneni, Mar 30, 2010.

1. p

parvataneni Valued Member Member

Hi,

I have 10g tank and its in 1st week of cycle with 6 danios in it with following ratings :

Ammonia - 0.25 ppm
    Nitrite - 0
    Nitrate - 20

My questions are :

1. How often do i need to feed Danios ?
    2. Can i feed Tropical Fish flakes and Nutrafin Max Pellets ?
    3. What should be water temperature in my fish tank for Danios?
    4. My fish tank is having moisture under Light hood, how do i fix it , i got Aqueon Delux fish tank with Fluroscent Lighting.

Thanks all for your help

2. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

You can do both forms of food if you want. I just like pellets over flakes. But if they are oober small I would go flakes or crushing the pellets. As for how often about twice a day is good. Once when you get up and again when you go to bed. Temps should be about 74-78 degress. Moisture under the hood isnt uncommon its just water evaproating, it shouldnt be that bad but I have mositure under all my tanks from evaporation. It shouldnt hurt anything as long as your light has a protective cover.

3. OP
    OP
    p

Would that be a good idea to feed fish twice a day as i am cycling my tank with fish in them ?

4. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

You can do once a day, but feeding twice the extra waste will only help your cycling along. You can do either way really. Its usually personal choice.

5. OP
    OP
    p

Thank you so much, another question i have is i have few artifical plants and some wood decoration and 3 live plants very smaller ones , so my question is for Danios and Guppies which i might get them once my tank is cycled properly ..does these fish need lot of plants and hiding place so that they can feel comfortable ?

6. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Your 10g is pretty much stocked with 6 Danios as they grow to 2". A 10g tank really isn't big enough for active Danios as is. A 20g long or bigger would be much better. Adding other fish can bring aggression due to space issues and Danios are potential fin-nippers, might see the guppys tails as something fun and they are less active.

goodluck with your tank! :) I love Danios, they are so much fun!

7. f

flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

Danios can be a little spastic and need a longer tank to swim in. They don't need any plants to hide in as they will not sit still very long anyways they are always on the run. I think feeding twice a day is fine. You are going to have to do water changes when your ammonia gets above .25 anyway so the food shouldn't cause too much problems. Just remember that fish can go a week or too at least with out food so if your ammonia gets out of control you can skip the feedings for a few days without any major problems.

8. c

claudicles Well Known Member Member

Mine love to weave through the bottom of the plants in a 400 litre tank. They may not need plants but obstacles seem to make their frenetic dashing about more interesting.

9. Danionins.com

Danionins.com Valued Member Member

You can feed them as little as once a day or 4 or more times daily. In the wild fish eat as food is available. Multiple small feedings are much better for the fish than one large feeding.

Danios are very good eaters and will probably eat whatever is offered. I feed pellets, flakes, golden pearls, algae wafers, and many types of live food.

Most Danios are actually sub-tropical fish and will do quite well in unheated tanks. Usually, if the room temperature is comfortable for you, the tanks water temperature will be comfortable for them. They can be kept at warmer temperatures too.

It's been my experience that this normally happens when the water temperature is warmer than the room temperature. As the warm water evaporates it condenses when it hits the cooler hood.

Keep a close eye on your ammonia level and do a water change if needed.

I think most fish appreciate plants in the tank. I have around 20 different varieties of Danios and keep live plants in all my tanks. I keep all but the larger Danios in 10 gallon tanks usually in groups of 8 to 12 with no problems. They will tend to school a little better in a 20 gallon long, but they will do just fine in your 10 gallon tank.

Best of luck with your new aquarium!

Dennis

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice