Danios Vs Guppies Hardiness?

Shade89

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I want to add about 3 male guppies to my tank but I wanted to know how they compare to a species like danios in terms of hardiness.

I've had 5 danios in my 20g long tank for 2 months and they've been pretty easy to take of. I don't use a heater and my water temperature always ranges between 69-77F depending on the weather. The PH usually flucuates as some days it reads 7.4 and others 8.2, but all the fish have been doing fine and never showed any signs of sickness or inactivity since the first couple of days they were introduced to the tank. The highest I've seen my nitrates go up to is about 30ppm before doing a water change. I'm wondering if guppies would be able to do just as well as the danios?

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I would say danios are hardier as they have a wider temperature tolerance and haven't been line-bred as much for specific traits as guppies.

oldsalt777

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I want to add about 3 male guppies to my tank but I wanted to know how they compare to a species like danios in terms of hardiness.

I've had 5 danios in my 20g long tank for 2 months and they've been pretty easy to take of. I don't use a heater and my water temperature always ranges between 69-77F depending on the weather. The PH usually flucuates as some days it reads 7.4 and others 8.2, but all the fish have been doing fine and never showed any signs of sickness or inactivity since the first couple of days they were introduced to the tank. The highest I've seen my nitrates go up to is about 30ppm before doing a water change. I'm wondering if guppies would be able to do just as well as the danios?
Hello Shade...

Most fish you get at the pet store will be fine in most tap water as long as you use one of the standard water treatments to remove the stuff the public water people put into your water to make it safe to drink. So, you don't need to worry about the chemistry of the tap water. Knowing the pH, hardness and all the chemistry stuff isn't important to keeping a healthy fish tank. Danios and Guppies are very hardy fish and will adapt to a water pH of between 6 and 8.5, like the majority of fish you get at the pet store. As long as the chemistry is steady, the fish will be fine. Just don't tamper with the water by adding anything to it. This isn't good for the fish. Make sure the fish are acclimated properly and you change most of their tank water every week.

Old

ystrout

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Danios are very hardy fish. They're also beautiful and very active.

You can get a couple guppies too. I'd get 2 or 3 more danios and a couple guppies. Guppies are social fish but aren't schoolers so they'll be happy hanging out with the danios and a couple other guppies.

If you get guppies, you may want to get a cheap heater to hold your water at 75. Danios can live in water from 65 to 80 (ideally low to mid 70s) but guppies aren't as tolerant. The heater should only cost $15.

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if zebra danios are still hardy enough or if they're genetically weak, but once when I have around six zebra danios, over half of them died after a water change days after purchasing them. Again, I'm not sure if they're still hardy enough or if I gotten a bad stock.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I cycled my 55 with 6 Danio sadly 2 years almost to the day i am down to 1 ( grandpa zeebs is his name ) with a hunchback and all but always hangs out with the guppies and is always first to the dinner table ( top of the tank ) very fast and very beautiful fun fish to watch a school of. Surprisingly shortly after the 6 zebras i added 5 Serpae and to this day we still have all 5. Talk about another very hardy fish. also extremely fun to watch school and chase each other!!

Last edited:

ystrout

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm not sure if zebra danios are still hardy enough or if they're genetically weak, but once when I have around six zebra danios, over half of them died after a water change days after purchasing them. Again, I'm not sure if they're still hardy enough or if I gotten a bad stock.
I've had the best luck with pearl danios.

ystrout

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Never kept pearl danios or any species of danios with the exception of zebras.
Pearls get bigger and have a white iridescent glow. Similar body features and mannerisms.

They're my favorite schooling/shoaling fish.

MamaLlama76

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In my personal experience keeping guppies and danios together, the danios tended to get a little fin nippy with the big delta tail and other long flowy finned guppies, but they did fine with the little endler/smaller finned type guppies that had less extravagant finnage. Of course that my have just been my own danios were more aggressive than others... but I would go with caution and get a "cheap" mutt guppy or two to see how the danios behave before getting anything too fancy or fabulous to put with the danios.

Shade89

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I was thinking about waiting a little longer but drove by the pet store today and couldn't resist. I got 3 males guppies like I wanted to and 2 more danios (glofish). They've been in my tank for about 9 hours now with my five previous danios. I did see some fin nipping from the danios but it didn't look like anything too aggressive. I'm hoping they were just playing since the danios always seem to chase each other all the time. I'm surprised all of the new fish ate some pellets during feeding time. My first set of danios didn't eat until a couple of days. I'll keep observing them for the next few days and see how things turn out.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom