Danios stealing food from corys and barbs

1. l

lcorona New Member Member

My 9 zebra danios are stealing food from my albino corys and my cherry barbs. They get fed flakes, and bloodworms (bloodworms every Saturday), but they take shrimp pellets and algae wafers from the bottomfeeders. The barbs don't mind much they get most of their food from cleaning the tank. (they just get a few nibbles then leave. They've been doing this for two weeks so they're probably fine) The corys on the other hand aren't cleaning, they usually be lazy, and eat when I drop down the usual 3 shrimp pellets and 1 algae wafer. (they're still only about an inch big, and they're stomachs look full.) But anyways whenever the danios are done with their flakes they just eat the shrimp pellets. I'm worried because they're starting to look fat now.

2. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

danios are piglets of the aquatic world LOL..
    best way to feed cories is after you shut the lights out at nite...fasting one day a week and adding small pieces of pea to their diet once a week, will help with bloated or constipation from the piglets also...good luck!

3. OP
    OP
    l

What about the barbs? They can't just eat algae for the rest of their lives.

4. Shawnie

target feed a bit on each side of the tank...having danios is a chore when it comes to feeding time..its a fend for yourself kinda tank ;)

5. OP
    OP
    l

I get it. So you're basically saying to try and put the food in a different place each time right?

6. Shawnie

yes :)

7. freak78

freak78 Well Known Member Member

I have 6 danios and it's the same thing. My 5 tiger barb's are up at the top too right in the thick of it with the zebra's. When my cherry barb's realize this they go the top too and will chase the zebra's to get their food. It's quite entertaining.

8. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

When I had my danios, it was the same. My solution was that when the cories get their shrimp pellets, they get enough to share with the whole class. So I put in enough pellets that everyone gets fed, and forgo the other food.

9. N

Neji Valued Member Member

I used to have this problem a long time ago until I just tried giving a bunch of flakes on one side of the tank and then putting flakes on the other side of the tank :) It helped a lot for me :)