Danios rubbing themselves on things Question

1. Dark Sky Member Member

Earlier today in an unrelated post I mentioned how my Danios rub themselves on things (driftwood, sand), escapay commented that it could be something worth keeping an eye on.

I've observed that the main culprit is a male Leopard Danio. I've also noticed that he is looking very stressed, ie, pale gold, spots very faded. They all lost a bit of their colour after the major tank re-scape I did the other day, but their colours all returned within an hour of being back home... Except for this guy.

Coincidentally, this is the same fish I've recently commented on being particularly aggressive towards nearly everyone else in the tank.

I've just tested their water(API Master): temp-21c, PH-7.4, Ammonia-slightly above 0, below 0.25, Nitrite-0, Nitrate-10.

Is this behaviour, and lack of colour, anything to worry about, or would it just be regular doctors advice of keeping an eye on it and noting if it changes?

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

It could be a reaction to the change of water or just stress due to the rescape.
    Keep an eye on him & the other fish as it could be a precursor to ich rearing it's ugly head.

3. Dark Sky Member Member

I first noticed it about a month ago when I put a new piece of driftwood in, I observed the Neons 'flicking' at the wood, it looked as though they were pecking at it, perhaps it was tasty. When a couple of the Danios (the one I mentioned and another male) did a similar thing I didn't think too much about it, just presumed they were after the same thing as the Neons, even though they seemed to rub it more than rock at it.

I've never had ich turn up before, from what I've read it looks like salt and is best cured by heat. Is that an issue with these more temperate fish though? From what you said about different Corys in my other thread, it sounds like the Peppered have a fairly narrow temperature range they're happy in, in cases where the temperature has to be raised, can it harm them, or is it more of a discomfort sort of thing?

4. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

If it turns out to be ich which hopefully it isn't, then the corys can take the high temperature for a short time while you treat it.

5. Dark Sky Member Member

Ok, good to know, thanks! I'll report back if there are any changes... I've just been reading up about ich, I know why doctors advise against self diagnosis via the internet, I'm starting to thing I'VE got it!!!

6. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Haha I know what you mean!

7. Tonia Well Known Member Member

*looks at Dark Sky* hmm... what is that white spot you've got there?

(just teasing) I hope your fish doesn't have ich and that he is just a bit nervous and not feeling as sure of himself.

8. smee82 Well Known Member Member

Id also keep an eye out for parasites and other bacterial infections. If they are constantly rubbing on something then it is most likely that something is wrong with them.

9. Dark Sky Member Member

Thanks, I will be keeping a close eye. It's certainly not constant, just every now and then which is why I hadn't worried about it until it was mentioned it could be a sign.