Danios, Platy & what else?

1. designer Initiate Member

I finally finished cycling my tank and have had 5 danios for over a month not and 2 mickey mouse platies that were added a week ago. I have a 36 gallon bow front aquarium and was wondering what additional fish would go well with what I have? I'm not interested in breeding but just want a colorful tank where everyone gets along!
    I've read a lot of conflicting information and was hoping to throw this question out there to see what other peoples experiences have been. Guoramis? tetras? mollies? guppies?

Thanks in advance :;smack

2. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I think you would be okay to add a dwarf gourami as a centerpiece type fish. You could do a angel instead if you wanted.

I would do a school of scissortail tetras or maybe some pristilla tetras. I wouldn't add guppies just because the danios may nip.

I would do something like this in the end....

8 danios (I'd up the number to 8)
    2 Platy
    10 Scissor tail tetra
    1 Angel
    6 Pygmy Cory cats
    1 BN pleco

I added the cories and the pleco because I noticed you hadn't thought about bottom feeders. I also just simply am in love with my BN, she's amazing.

3. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

I would not add an angel or any other long finned fish with danios. They can get very nippy.

How about Bolivian Rams and a school of Cherry Barbs for color?

4. designer Initiate Member

I was kind of iffy about the angels and any other fish that might have long fins because of the danios being notorious nippers.....

5. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

How about a Blue German Ram or a Gold Ram? They are very colorful and do not have dangley fins to tempt the danios.

6. fighter55 Member Member

An EB Ram also adds color. I find them little more dazzling then GBR's.

7. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Im for the DG :p. So long as you dont have any other goruami, betta, and some angles in there you shouldn't have a problem with one. Or a group of honey gourami, which imo, are very interesting to watch in groups. Id also say either a BN pleco, Bulldog pleco or a Clown pleco.

8. nippybetta Well Known Member Member

My BN pleco is awesome, I'd totally recommend one. They're cute and keep the tank sparkling clean. At one point I had a DG, 2 rams, and 3 angels together without conflict. Then the rams died of various causes, and the DG passed away yesterday of what I assume is old age. Anyway, I think I used a bit of luck to pull this off, so I'd recommend either the angel or the DG. I'm not sure what other people would say about rams and DGs, but I encountered no issues.

Personally, I don't like EB or bolivian rams much. Bolivs seem all grey and sort of ugly to me, and EBs look unnatural and a but plain compared to GBRs. I have nothing to say against gold rams though, they're stunning too. Anyway, I think you should try to get a ram pair as your centerpiece fishies.

9. fighter55 Member Member

I love the Gold rams too. At times my EB seemed a bit plain, but when the light reflects perfectly off of them you get the mod dazzling color.

10. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

EB???

11. fighter55 Member Member

Electric Blue, as in Electric Blue Ram, or EBR