Danios not spawning

Mkm817

About a week ago I got two glofish danios today add to my 16 gallon tank. One of the fish I already had in there was a longfin leopard danio. Four days ago I realized that my longfin has become very round and bloated and so I figured she was carrying eggs. I did lots of research and ended up setting up a breeding tank with marbles on the bottom so the eggs could fall through. They have been in there for two days now and still haven’t spawned. Any suggestions on how to make it happen? I was also not sure if it is even possible for them to breed considering they are different types.

midnightwhale

It should technically be possible for them to breed since both glofish danios and leopard danios are just variants of the zebra danio. I might be an idiot but do you have the right genders? I guess the other thing I've heard to help them spawn is to feed live foods and raise the temperature slowly (to stimulate monsoon season) but I am not the most experienced keeper so take my advice with a grain of salt until someone more knowledgeable comes along lol!

Mkm817

midnightwhale said:
It should technically be possible for them to breed since both glofish danios and leopard danios are just variants of the zebra danio. I might be an idiot but do you have the right genders? I guess the other thing I've heard to help them spawn is to feed live foods and raise the temperature slowly (to stimulate monsoon season) but I am not the most experienced keeper so take my advice with a grain of salt until someone more knowledgeable comes along lol!
From what I can tell we do have both genders. I will try to slowly raise the temperature tonight and if that doesn’t work then I will get some live food tomorrow. Thank you!

Donovan Jones

You might want to be careful with glofish. The intentional breeding of them is illegal, as they are technically patented. Not sure if this hybridization counts, but figured I'd let u know.

Mkm817

Donovan Jones said:
You might want to be careful with glofish. The intentional breeding of them is illegal, as they are technically patented. Not sure if this hybridization counts, but figured I'd let u know.
My only intention when buying the fish was to add some color to my tank. I had no clue that it was even possible for it to breed with my other danio. Thanks for letting me know!

Fisheye

in the hopes this is helpful, I can speak to experinece with breeding danios of the Celestial Pearl variety.

1. Give them time to settle in. You haven't had them that long.
2. Blood worms
3. Cooler temp water change
4. Boy girl ratio. 1 male to 3 females

The day after blood worms and a water change, they go bananas...in the way you want.

This brief paper is interesting...

Shoaling preferences and the effects of sex ratio on spawning and aggression in small laboratory populations of zebrafish (Danio rerio)

Mkm817

Fisheye said:
in the hopes this is helpful, I can speak to experinece with breeding danios of the Celestial Pearl variety.

1. Give them time to settle in. You haven't had them that long.
2. Blood worms
3. Cooler temp water change
4. Boy girl ratio. 1 male to 3 females

The day after blood worms and a water change, they go bananas...in the way you want.

This brief paper is interesting...

Shoaling preferences and the effects of sex ratio on spawning and aggression in small laboratory populations of zebrafish (Danio rerio)
Thank you so much!

Latest threads

Top Bottom