Danios for Cycling tanks

KoroKorington
My 29 Gal tank has been cycling for 3 days now. I have added in lots of plants and added the bacteria bottle stuffs. So far, it seems like its going good. I searched up that Zebra Danios are very hardy and can be put in uncycled tanks. Not sure if this is true; if so, correct me. During the cycling of the tank, ammonia, 'trites & 'trates spike. If danios can really live in uncycled tanks, can they survive those spikes? I want to add them in but I don't like dead fish. Also, can these live with neon tetras after the cycling is complete?

Advertisement
Dsyroid
I used zebras to cycle mine all 9 did fine

KoroKorington
I used zebras to cycle mine all 9 did fine

On what day of cycling did you add them?

Wolf65
I cycled with Mollies and black tetra from day 1 and it went alright, no casualties. But I didn't add any ammonia into the tank. The fish will produce the ammonia.

CindiL
My 29 Gal tank has been cycling for 3 days now. I have added in lots of plants and added the bacteria bottle stuffs. So far, it seems like its going good. I searched up that Zebra Danios are very hardy and can be put in uncycled tanks. Not sure if this is true; if so, correct me. During the cycling of the tank, ammonia, 'trites & 'trates spike. If danios can really live in uncycled tanks, can they survive those spikes? I want to add them in but I don't like dead fish. Also, can these live with neon tetras after the cycling is complete?

Hi, you have to have an ammonia source so if you added the bacteria three days ago it has probably already died. You can cycle with danios and a bacterial additive but the key thing to do is stock super light for the first two weeks. So if that was my tank, I would add in no more than four danios, add in a bottle of tetra safe start plus for that sized tank or larger. After two weeks you should have a nice small cycle and can start adding in a couple fish a week.

I would get the API freshwater test kit if you don't already have it. I would also pick up a bottle of Seachem prime which not only dechlorinates and removes heavy metals but protects fish from ammonia and nitrites up to 1.0 if you're ever having a cycle "bump" in the future.

Here are some directions on cycling with TSS+:
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/q-a-with-tetra-about-tetra-safestart.58116/

Dsyroid
4 to start then 5 more for a total of 9 condo is right your tank probably went back to neutral w no food source. So add in 4 and your bb in a bottle and test adjust test adjust

Advertisement
DK42875
Don't put any fish in when cycling at all. Or any animals in general, it will cause stress and health issues. You may choose to listen to the people several thousand posts lol, but in my experience even if you don't see immediate effects, it will still damage the fish. I know its hard, just wait a month and you can add fish

fishnewbie33
Don't put any fish in when cycling at all. Or any animals in general, it will cause stress and health issues. You may choose to listen to the people several thousand posts lol, but in my experience even if you don't see immediate effects, it will still damage the fish. I know its hard, just wait a month and you can add fish

Just wanted to advise that you can't just wait 1 month and the tank will be cycled. You will need a constant ammonia source (bottled ammonia, fish, etc.).

If you use fish to cycle, you should get Tetra SafeStart (TSS) to lower the risk of fish stress. TSS is just bottled beneficial bacteria necessary to cycle a tank (same as what will seed in your filter to keep the tank cycled). You can also use bottled ammonia and TSS to cycle the tank.

Cycling with TSS: 2+ weeks
Cycling with ammonia: 6+ weeks (avg.)

If you use TSS, add water conditioner, wait 24 hrs, add TSS and fish (or ammonia), wait 2 weeks (no water changes), you should be cycled. Test to confirm.

DK42875
I know, I think fishless cycling is the only way to go... its ok if people disagree tho. I use bottled ammonia to cycle my tanks and it usually takes about 3 weeks to a month. I used to cycle with fish until I read a post on a forum about it that said cycling with fish (in the fish's standpoint) is like breathing in toxic gas for weeks and every breath you take feels like it's on fire... that's when I switched to bottled ammonia. Of course he doesn't know what the fish are thinking/feeling, and it might not be like that. I do know that people often assume if the fish isn't swimming funny, dead or bleeding nothing is wrong but stress can be very deadly as well. You might not see it initially, but it can have long term affects. Just my two cents.

Pedantos The Red
In general I just put fish in but way understocked, then feed very lightly for a week or two. Never had any issues that way, even with much more finicky fish.

CindiL
I know, I think fishless cycling is the only way to go... its ok if people disagree tho. I use bottled ammonia to cycle my tanks and it usually takes about 3 weeks to a month. I used to cycle with fish until I read a post on a forum about it that said cycling with fish (in the fish's standpoint) is like breathing in toxic gas for weeks and every breath you take feels like it's on fire... that's when I switched to bottled ammonia. Of course he doesn't know what the fish are thinking/feeling, and it might not be like that. I do know that people often assume if the fish isn't swimming funny, dead or bleeding nothing is wrong but stress can be very deadly as well. You might not see it initially, but it can have long term affects. Just my two cents.

The only way around this is to dose prime and stability daily and keep ammonia + ntitrites under 1.0. This will take longer to cycle but at least your fish will be safe. Its very stressful for the fish owner though wondering if they're harming their fish.

Bithimala
It doesn't look like the stocking question was addressed or maybe I missed it, you should be fine to have danio and tetras in the tank.

Sent from my SM-G360T using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Solved
Replies
Views
sauceypanda
Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views
4nni3