Danios chasing/bullying each other

Gwenz

Well Known
Reaction score
Hi, I have 6 zebra Danios and 2 Leopard Danios in a 15gal tank with 5 neon tetras. I have noticed recently that they chase each other more and a lot more aggresivly too. When they chase each other they often move so quickly that the water sploshes about in the tank and makes splashing noises. Any way, this morning at about 6:00am, the amount of noise they were making woke me up, so I went to check on them, and noticed that 5 of the zebras and 1 of the leopards were chasing another of the leopards. I have always thought that the one they were chasing was a female and that the rest but one of the zebras (the one that wasn't chasing) were males. Could the chasing be because the 6 males are all chasing the 2 females?  ???

I'm worried about one of the females, because after they all chased her, and after I lightly tapped the glass of the tank to calm them, the one female, slowly floated to the bottom of the tank, and just layed there for about 5-10 minutes, obviously worn out, then slowly swam to hide behind the plants.  :-\

Should I be worried about her? Any ideas why they could all be chasing her?

Thanks

Gwenz :-\

P.S. - I hope this makes sense.  :-\

pauliface

Reaction score
okay, from what I know usually to stop males fighting for females you put the ratio of 2:1 females. So the more females to males there are, the less chance the males fight for them, or bully them.

Hope this helps.

OP
Gwenz

Gwenz

Well Known
Reaction score
OK thanks.

The chasing seems to have stopped for now during the day, but they still do it at night. :-\

Gwenz

OP
Gwenz

Gwenz

Well Known
Reaction score
hey I figured out what was happening!! I'd forgotten about this. If you read this :
it makes sense!!

When I said :

Gwenz said:
I went to check on them, and noticed that 5 of the zebras and 1 of the leopards were chasing another of the leopards. I have always thought that the one they were chasing was a female and that the rest but one of the zebras (the one that wasn't chasing) were males. Could the chasing be because the 6 males are all chasing the 2 females? ???
And now this has happened it all makes sense!! Yay!!

Gwenz

tan.b

Well Known
Reaction score
so....have any eggs been laid then? is the quarantine tank you were setting up over xmas ready for babies? are the mummy danios ok after their harrassment? hope everything's ok. I can offer no advice i'm afraid as i've only had danios for a day and still trying to figure out if i've boys or girls or both! ???:-\ ! but i'm interested to know how yours are doing. keep us posted! and good luck!

Tan

MamaM

Reaction score
I'm glad I found this thread because I just recently witnessed this behavior!!! I had 2 females who were VERY full of eggs. I got 4 more yesterday & shortly after they joined the other two...both males started chasing the largest female!! During one of these chases, she released some white/iridescent eggs into the water, which the males quickly gobbled up!! I had never seen this before and it was a little freaky. Now she is thinner & they are leaving her alone (she's the largest and has been asserting her role as Queen of the Tank!!). Now I have 4 females & 2 males, so I am sure that fry will happen sometime (I'm certainly not encouraging it, though!). I had fry with my last group of fish, but they didn't survive the disease that wiped out all but 2 female fish in my tank (disease has been eradicated from fish & tank!). They are cute little buggers, but I don't plan to actively breed...so I'll just see what happens!

Good luck to you, Gwenz!
Sharon

MamaM

Reaction score
Okay, now I've got LOTS of fry in my rocks!! I guess they decided to breed all by themselves!! ;D

New Threads