Danios Chasing 1 Danio

1. Sagar Joshi

Sagar Joshi Valued Member Member

I have 3 zebra and 1 leopard short fin and 2 leopard long fin danios.

The zebra and short fin are continuously chasing the long fins.

What should I do? Should I separate them? Will those two get stressed and potentially die?

2. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

If they are continuously chasing and harassing the long fin danios, I'd separate them. Otherwise you may have some dead fish on your hands. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of them "playing" either though.

3. OP
    OP
    Sagar Joshi

Yeah. They were playing. Now they have stopped. Getting ready for bed I guess :)

Thanks LiterallyHydro

4. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

No problem. :) Just make sure to keep an eye on them in the coming days. If you spot any ripped fins, missing scales, sores or other injuries, make sure to treat it accordingly and potentially remove the aggressor.

5. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

You need to have zebra danios in a school of 6+ or they can get aggressive. They must all be the same kind of danio. Mixing them with the leopard long and short fins aren't a proper school. As they aren't the same subspecies. The same thing goes for the leopard danios. They need a school of their own. When they are stressed or feel insecure they lash out and start nipping at each other.

How big is your tank? Because they also need plenty of room. 20 gallons or more.

6. OP
    OP
    Sagar Joshi

I have 32g. I have read on this forum people saying they will school. They seem to be fine now