Danios at bottom of the tank,Please help Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by parvataneni, Apr 4, 2010.

1. p

parvataneni Valued Member Member

I have 10g tank with 6 Danios (Zebra and yellow), i have few artifical and 2 live plants with heater, airstone installed i am maintaining temperature at around 72-75,here are my questions.i started my tank last week its been close to 10 days, 2 days back i have taken reading , ammonia - 0.25 , Nitrite - 5 and Nitrate - 20 i did 50% water change yesterday with Prime in it.

1. i heard Danios would swim in middle and top of the tank most of the times,but my danios are swimming at botton and middle most of the times and they seems to be very active and running around and playing in the bottom and between the plants and decoration,sometimes when i watch i see them looking for food.I am feeding them every alternate day as i still in cycling process. is this common that these fish swim at bottom to middle of tank or is it something which i should be careful of now ?

2. looking at some posts i felt that i need airstone , so i got airstone and installed and i saw my fish are having fun with airstone and they are playing with the bubbles and water flow from airstone but actual problem i see here is as i start airstone the water and bubbles tend to hit my HOOD and when i lift the hood water drops keeping faling in tank. I have 10G Aqueon delux hit and hood is covered i mean the light is fully covered is it something i should look at or i should not use airstone , i dont want my fish die coz of airstone making water to stay to my hood and get shock.

Please help.Attached is my fish tank picture

Thanks
    Praveen

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

As long as they are eating and feeding ok I wouldn't think they are sick. That is a fairly short tank for Danios to swim in so it soulds like they are just using the whole tank instead of just the top area.
    Due to the ammonia I would do a small water change.
    Carol

3. OP
    OP
    p

parvataneni Valued Member Member

Carol,
    I felt the same as they are very active and playing alot its hard to see at one fish at a given time coz they keeping playing around and running so fast.Yeah i am planning to do water change, do you think i need to do water change daily till Ammonia and Nitrite comes to 0 or every other day 50% change should be good ?

Thanks for your help

4. redlessi

redlessi Well Known Member Member

I think daily water changes of 30% would probably be best, if not 50% every other day should do. Make sure you use your prime!!

Good Luck

5. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Danios need a lot of horizontal swim space - you've seen how fast they are. :) It's not uncommon for them to hang out at the bottom of the tank. When I had mine, they were all over the tank (30 gallon)

6. B

Borisbbadd Guest

That's how mine are.
    I have 6 in a 29 gallon, and they get all over the place.

7. jersey

jersey Valued Member Member

idk id be worried if my fish were running. haha. mine only swim.

8. c

chunkdaddy Valued Member Member

I've got 8 zebras in my 29 gallon tank & they swim everywhere.

9. c

crystalized New Member Member

hrm..how long has it been ?...for your dainoz swimming like that??

my zebra used to do the same thing for a bit..you could try to trick em out by adding some stuff to occupy the bottom where they have no choice but to swim in upper area of the tank temperately..then take it out, then they will swim everywhere..

i tried and worked..not sure if it will work or not..but won't hurt to try as long as you don't PACK your tank..lol

good luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice