Danios are dying!

1. n

noturbizniss New Member Member

SO i started with 6 danios on a monday. By Sunday 3 had died, no idea why (one had a missing eye - might have gotten nipped by a tetra that i returned). The other 3 seemed to be doing OK for the next week, but then on monday morning one seemed to have a wierd lump on his back and today seems really bad. I started api Melafix on monday morning, but today he has what looks like a thick white stripe vertically on his side, and what looks like sore or something on his side. he's not swimming much, just hanging out by the top. I've attached pics. Any thoughts?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Looks like an injury. Do you have a heater?

Is your tank cycled? What are the pH, temp, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels? Trying to think what may have killed the others.

3. OP
    OP
    n

Have a heater, tank is cycled, all levels are close to zero, been doing weekly water changes.lfs also has no clue. It's a small one, not a petco, theyr pretty knowledgeable.

Can I do anything for the sick one?

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

What are your levels? Close to zero still isn't good for ammonia or nitrites.

Depending on what those levels are, a water change might help the remaining danios. Not sure what to suggest for this one.

5. OP
    OP
    n

Haven't checked since water change but right before ammonia and nitrite were zero and nitrate was 10

Just noticed some white stuff on some tubes in the tank. Could it be algae?

The white stuff...

Attached Files:

6. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

The fish that died, did they have any white patches or sores on them? Have you seen the sick fish try to eat then spit the food out?

7. OP
    OP
    n

Haven't seen them eating and spitting and none of the others looked like the one above. Not sure if that's a sore in the middle or not.

8. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

It sounds like they may have come from the store sick. Without any outward sores or symptoms, its hard to say what is causing it. But since you just got them, its a good chance they came from the store that way. Fish that are stressed are more susceptible to getting sick.

How long has your tank been running? Any other fish in the tank besides the Danios? What is your water temperature?

9. OP
    OP
    n

It cycled fishless about 4 weeks and fish in it 2.5. Temp has been about 79sh but heater is off. I raised it to about 81 last week cuz i thought the gills were reddish but I since lowered it.

Well now I don't see that fish at all. No idea where it went

10. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Sorry for your losses. :(
    Have you looked outside the tank?
    Where did you buy the danios?

11. OP
    OP
    n

Why outside? It's covered and I don't think the sick one could jump. I bought them at Manhattan aquarium.

12. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

How did they look when you got them?

13. OP
    OP
    n

Totally fine and healthy

14. E

The missing fish has probably expired,or is on the cusp, sorry. Look for him on the filter siphon tube,or the gravel,or up under the rim.

15. OP
    OP
    n

As expected he had died and was on the filter siphon. I'm down to 2 danios which im sure is stressing them out, but I don't know if it's a good idea to go back to the store for more yet. What do you guys think? If these are sick I don't want to continue the cycle of killing the fish...

16. E

I would not replace any fish at this time. Highly suspect it's a bacterial infection. Read up on fish diseases, such as columnaris.

17. OP
    OP
    n

Thanks. I'm continuing the medicine as well.

18. E

I must of missed that post about the medicine, what are you using?

19. OP
    OP
    n

Api melafix. Started on Monday am

20. E

If it is a bacterial/viral infection, your going to need to take out the big guns. Melafix will do nothing to combat it.