danios and tetras

1. mjh4y Initiate Member

I have 7 danios in my 20g tank and I wanted to get some tetras but have been reading mixed literature regarding tetras and danios... some sites say they'd make good tankmates but other sites say not to... My wife really wants cardinal tetras but I read that they are smaller and thus may not be good addition to a tank of danios... what about neon tetras? I'm primarily looking at the small tetras...

Thanks for any input on this!

2. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

I think they should be okay as long as there are at least 5 or so in there because they are schooling fish and the danios will pick onthem if not in a fairly good size school.

3. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

also make sure that your filter's intake tube has small enough hole thingys that the tetras won't be sucked up. my friend had some and that happened to hers :eek:

4. mjh4y Initiate Member

Thanks Emma for your input ~ the cardinals at my LFS (non-chain) are about 1/3 the size of the danios... the guy there cautioned me about putting them in as well ~ and he said they wont get as big as the danios... I planned to get at least 6 cardinals.

My filter does have the small slit extension :D

5. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I have had various different kind of danios and neon tetras together. I have heard the Cardinals are a little more delicate than regular neons. If the tank hasn't been set up for at least six months you might want to wait on the Cardinals. Just my thoughts
    Carol

6. mjh4y Initiate Member

Patience is TRULY a virtue!!!

From all my readings on keeping fish, one thing I feel isnt stressed enough if "PATIENCE IS VITAL TO KEEP FISH" ... I mean, I'm not a patient man, and waiting six months to put in fish that I REALLY want seems like an eternity! How you hardcore fishers do it I can't comprehend... and if I knew how much patience I would need, I might not started up my tank!?! ... okay, that's not true... but I would have at least given it a second thought... :eek:

At any rate, I'll be putting a hold on getting the cardinals ... for now!!! :p

7. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

See thats the problem, most of us hardcord fishkeepers didn't wait to get fish we real-l-l-l-l-l-y wanted. and they died or got sick or some such thing. We try to save the newbies or fairly new newbies some grief. along the way we learned some patience(sometimes ;) ) I've read alot about how sensitive cardinals can be. so hang in there. And remember those were just educated suggestions.
    Carol

8. dahly Member Member

I have a hybrid of Diamond and Neon Tetra's that are a little bigger than neon's.  They are also much hardier.  There are a lot of colorful tetra's out there to chose from, so don't be so quick to limit yourself.  How big is your tank?  Perhaps you can add a school of a more hardy tetra soon and the neon/cardinals later.  Enjoy!