Danios and Pleco have turned spastic Help

1. Altari Member Member

I just did a 20% water change. Used a water conditioner and a pH lowerer as my tap water runs pretty high. I've been doing this every third day when I vacuum and it's been OK. Except today after I did it the pleco and the danios became ultra hyperactive. The danios are swimming in a circular chain around the pleco's algae pellet (then fighting when one of them nips at it) and the pleco is frenetically cleaning the walls. The gouramis and the betta are still acting normal though. Any ideas?

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

What is your pH from your tap?
    Most fish can adapt to different pH's as long as it's consistant.
    Could it be that it was lowered too much?

3. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

What exactly is your pH right out of the tap? That is not your true pH reading. I am posting a link below that will be helpful. Fish can adapt to a wide range of pH. The most importent thing is that it is consistent. Using chemicals isn't the best way to adjust pH as it can cause large swings and that can stress your fish out. You are probly careful but still not a good idea.

http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/articles/107

What are your readings exactly for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

I have Danios and they go after anything, including algae wafers that I drop into my tank. They are very active fish and just plain pigs. lol So no worrys there. If you had any serious problem the Gourami and Betta would be the first to show signs. IMO They can be sensitive when it comes to water quality.

There is alot more to say regarding some of the things in your aquarium info. but only if you want to know. Don't want to step on your toes. :)

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Altari. I highly agree with AlyeskaGirl. Using chemicals to adjust your pH levels can do more harm than good. They are unstable and can even cause your pH levels to crash. The link she provided gives you great information on maintaining a stable pH without the use of chemicals. Your fish could very well be displaying pH shock. Anytime pH levels are dropped to quickly it could be fatal. Ammonia issues could be the problem as well. Let us know your readings as soon as you can.
    Best wishes and I hope your fish are going to be alright!
    Ken

5. Altari Member Member

I'm still using the strips so...The ammonia/nitrite was between safe and stress. The nitrate was in stress. This was after the water change. My tap pH is around 7.8 to 8.0 so I add 4 drops the the pH lower per gallon before I change.