danios and guppies

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by newbie101, Nov 22, 2005.

1. newbie101Well Known MemberMember

I have 4 active zebra danios that like to chase each other.  I am getting a pair of guppies soon but I am worried that the danios will nip the guppies fins.  Will they or not?
    Also I have noticed that one or two of the danios have slightly torn fins probably from an aggressive one.  I really want guppies but if the danios are going to tear them up then i guess i cant. :(
    If it matters, I have a 10 gal with the danios and 2 female platys.  My nitrites are less than 20 ppmNitrates are less than 5 ppm. My temp is normally at 76-77 F. My ph is about 8 :eek:

2. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

Emma,
    It sounds like you tank isn't completely cycled if you have nitrites, or you are having a mini cycle. I would not add any more fish to that tank, even when your nitrites get back to zero. You pretty much have a full load in that tank. You might be able to add 3 pygmy corys which would help keep the gravel clean, and would help keep the waste down, but I wouldn't add the guppies.

3. OP
    OP
    n

newbie101Well Known MemberMember

also is 4 danios enough? do they need a bigger school? is that why they are chasing each other?

4. joeValued MemberMember

I have 3 pearl danios and they do fine so ur probably alright :)

5. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Danios just normally play follow the leader ;D
    Carol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice