Danio Species Id

2006fuzz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Wasn't sure if this would fit anywhere else so; what's the difference between leopard danios and zebra danios and will they school together? I was under the assumption they were the same species but just to be sure

dcutl002

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
2006fuzz said:
Wasn't sure if this would fit anywhere else so; what's the difference between leopard danios and zebra danios and will they school together? I was under the assumption they were the same species but just to be sure
They are different species. Zebra Danios have distinctive black and white stripes and leopard Danios have a spotted appearance. As far as schooling together, i have no idea, but I don't see why not.

iZaO Jnr

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
2006fuzz said:
These are the same species, but different "subspecies". Because of this, they are capable of interbreeding, and interacting on a fully social scale. For us humans, this means that you can treat them as the same species of fish...

So yes, they will school together, and they will fight, and they will breed (given all the right conditions).

Schooling however, given the unique nature of this behaviour is based on a number of important factors, one of which interestingly enough is fear. They may not school, or to be specific to danios - shoal, if they do not have the predispositions to do so beforehand, regardless of whether they are the same species or not. For example, put 100 neon tetras into a 1000 gallon. With hiding spaces, and no Potential predators (to neons anything bigger than they, are predators), then it's unlikely that they will school. Add some potential predators and a lack of spaces to evade and hide, then yes they may seek solace in numbers (which is the primary factor governing schooling behaviour). Danios are cyprinids, so in theory they are more intelligent than the common tetra, but for our purposes, similar principles usually apply.

MikeRad89

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They are not different species, they're the same species and yes they will school together.

iZaO Jnr

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
TexasDomer said:
They're not necessarily different subspecies either.
This is true. The genomics of subspecies level organisms are still in debate, even on an animal level (so imagine a plant level).

Basically, subspecies or not subspecies... They can be treated exactly the same.

Tiny_Tanganyikans

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The leopard danio, previously known as Danio frankei, is a spotted colour morph of the zebrafish which arose due to a pigment mutation.Xanthistic forms of both the zebra and leopard pattern, along with long-finned subspecies, have been obtained via selective breeding programs for the aquarium trade.

2006fuzz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thx everyone was just looking into seeing if 6 total was an acceptable school or if 6 each was needed to make each comfortable

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom