Danio seriously injured

1. Sumie Member Member

I need help deciding whether to euthanize a fish, I've never seen an injury this severe and I have no clue if this fish can recover or if it is having a long lingering death. This is a very tiny fish, a Long Finned Leopard Danio completely healthy and fully finned but for this horrible injury.

First off no IDEA how this happened I am really upset at myself that it even happened (can angel fish do this?!), it wasn't there at 7am feeding but at 9:30am I checked in again and the little girl was mangled. She is shredded top to bottom from just behind her side fin all along her side to roughly parallel her anus, it's complete hamburger meat. Her fins are fully splayed and she is clearly in distress swimming in small shimmying circles, if she were a dog she'd be limping in circles. I did searches and everyone is saying fish can recover from an amazing amount of damage, but to my newbie eyes this looks insane.

If she can be saved can someone walk me through the process of helping her or point me towards a post about treating fishes with severe injuries. I tried to stock up on anything my fish might need so I have Pimafix, Melafix, Aquarium Salt, Prime, Florish Excel, and lots of other stuff since I figured if I needed it I would need it immediately. Water is good and tested weekly and is consistent results (0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrate, 0 Nitrite) except for the PH which is a little low at around 6.3 to 6.5 currently it keeps dropping from a 7 to a 6.

2. jhigg008 Well Known Member Member

Can you post a pic of the injured fish so that forum members can make a more informed suggestion based on the extent of the injuries?

3. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Oh dear, the injury does sound pretty horrific:( How deep does it go into her flesh?

I would first put her into a quarantine tank or a breeder contraption that hangs inside the tank at the very least so she can avoid having her injuries picked at while you decide.

Your water is a little too clean and I suspect that your tank isn't cycled unless you have nitrate reducing media or a lot of plants, but that's not important right now. At least it appears to be clean.

From the description of the wound it sounds like she maybe tried to squeeze through a jagged hole and slice herself open on the sharp point.

I would also recommend starting a thread about your pH issues, there are some people here who are really good at that.

4. Sumie Member Member

Unfortunately I can't post a picture til later tonight I can use my husband's phone camera, my camera is old and doesn't shoot anything tiny (I've tried in the past) it works great for kids not for fish.

5. Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

Ok, what you'll need to do is to move her to a qt tank, make sure it's cycled. If it isn't cycled then you can grab some bacteria from a store and put it in there. Next is to add melafix and aquarium salt, that's about it. I had a cherry barb(no where near as bad as your poor little girl) that had a small puncture wound, healed in a few days and she's doing good. You'll want to add no sharp decor, if you can a live plant would be great. Hope she gets better!:) also welcome to the forum!

6. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

While she may be able to recover and fully heal, it's not going to happen overnight. Personally I'd euthanize her so she doesn't suffer.

7. Sumie Member Member

Been trying to find a similar picture to what I am seeing and explain based off what little anatomy of fish I know from the kitchen. So far this X-Ray might give the best idea what I am looking at http://www.nature.com/bonekeyreports/2013/131113/bonekey2013179/full/bonekey2013179.html exactly along the long ribs the skin is gone and the flesh looks white, raked uneven depth, and ragged (no chunks or strips hanging off but it's not smooth) all the way to the anus. Honestly I have never seen my Danio poop but I am guessing that hole is right before that bottom fin. I see a dark red spot low and close to the side fin that might be a part of the gut system but it's so tiny I can't tell if it's compromised or if it's just thin to the point of transparency in that area. Jeeze, if she were a mammal she'd be long dead from blood loss but she is still spunky and clearly focused on surviving, she's starting to rest on leaves and find a place to hide in denser cover. I have a tank within a tank system using a pitcher I jury rigged for my betta when I had to be sure she was pooping, a few plants to make her feel safe and an air tube ok or would the air tube make too much current for her injuries?

I thought I was cycled since I once over cleaned the sponges on my filter about 6m ago and all my levels started reading crazy dangerous for a month after, I had to do daily 10% water changes and Primed to protect the fish til things settled back to what I have now. I do have a ton of plants they are kinda taking over the tank -_- I have a 60 Gallon but since I had poor luck with TopFin PetSmart plants melting I ordered a 100 Gallon plant package in a fit of defiance, this ended up being a bad choice since everything did really well from the get go and the LED lighting I got shortly after really made it nuts. I have two chunks of Mopani wood also, I think that might be the PH problem, I try to manage that dipping PH quirk with 35% water changes every week since other methods like egg shells, cuttlebone, and chemicals were either ineffective or just as temporary a fix as plain water changes.

8. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

If she's still wanting to eat and move then I say give her a chance.

As for your pH problem it may be that you have really low KH. You can get a KH/GH test kit to find out for sure! Adding the egg shells and cuttlebone would be a temporary fix because plants use up KH and by the sounds of it you have quite the jungle in there! Apart from the injured fish I really would like to see a picture of your tank:)

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

9. Sumie Member Member

Thanks for the welcome, been silently reading since I got this aquarium and honestly it's not the first time you guys have saved me from mishaps so huge thanks for that too!

Okay got her set up in a 1g floating tank in tank set up: plants, bubbles, and treated with Aq Salt and Melafix. She is definitely alert I can see her eye twitch to me when I lean close but she is resting at the bottom, she really gave me a really hard time trying to catch her with the net so she isn't as dead as she looks but I'll keep a close eye on her and knock her out and Euth if it clearly gets hopeless, infection sets in, or she seems to want to pack it in.

I'll post pics of the injured girl and my tank this evening, maybe someone can see a dangerous spot I missed - just a warning it's not super tidy pretty more like major bedhead esp with the hair grass :)

10. Squiggles Member Member

I don't really have much advice, (since I'm a relatively new fish keeper) but I just wanted to wish you and your fish luck. Animals are amazing, they can survive the unthinkable sometimes. And I would love to see your set up. :)