Danio laying on bottom of tank?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by jinnix, Aug 5, 2015.

1. j

jinnix New Member Member

One of my zebra danios is laying on the bottom of the tank. I had a hard time finding him in the tank so I added some food. I noticed he was swimming erratically and then would slowly sink back down to the bottom. He's specifically laying on his right hand side. I separated him from the tank and put him with half old tank water and half new water and added some prime in case it's an ammonia spike. We've got four total zebra danios, three leopard danios, and one tiny guppy. He's still laying on his side in the smaller tank and will occasionally swim around before sinking back down.
    Any ideas? Is he doomed?

2. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

What are your water parameters and what tank size? Also, does he appear to have any outer signs of sickness on his body?

3. OP
    OP
    j

jinnix New Member Member

Water parameters were good yesterday, and today I'm out of stuff to check. No other signs of illness, and this morning he was swimming around fine with no problems

4. BornThisWayBettas

What did you use to test the water with?

5. OP
    OP
    j

jinnix New Member Member

I was using just test strips, but I got it tested at my LFS saturday who uses the liquid test and they said water was perfect. It's a 20g tank. I now have him in a very small bowl to have isolated. It's less than a gallon but it's all I have. Should I put him back in the tank so he'll have more room?

6. BornThisWayBettas

Did they give you the exact numbers? I'd recommend getting your own liquid test kit, btw. :)

7. OP
    OP
    j

jinnix New Member Member

No, they just said everything was fine. So no ideas on what's wrong with my danio? He still keeps swimming to the top of the bowl and then sinking back down to the bottom

8. BornThisWayBettas

Unless something's off with the water, I'm afraid not. Does he look bloated?

9. OP
    OP
    j

jinnix New Member Member

No, not even that. He looks completely fine, that's why I'm so baffled. I feel bad having him in such a small bowl so I'm thinking I'll put him back into the regular tank. I'm afraid it might be ammonia poisoning so I've added some prime and I'll be doing a water change tomorrow. Hopefully he makes it, I don't know what else to do

10. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

A big symptom of ammonia poisoning is seeing red gills. It wouldn't be a bad idea to pick up a liquid test kit and test the water he's currently in to see if there is ammonia.

11. OP
    OP
    j

jinnix New Member Member

He doesn't have red gills, and we've switched his water so he's in completely new water. He's still alive this morning, but keeps sinking to the bottom on his right side. It doesn't look like his fin is hurt. I've read that he might be constipated or stressed out?

12. LiterallyHydro

Did you acclimate him to the new water? He could also have been shocked by the sudden swing in temperature and pH.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

13. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I wouldn't trust them when they say everything is "fine". Stores have been known to say that a small amount of ammonia/nitrite is "fine".
    Next time ask what the exact parameters are. And I would get your own API liquid test kit as well.

14. LiterallyHydro

What he said, as well as I earlier. You need an API master test kit. Strips are notorious for being inaccurate and besides, you feel like a scientist when you're adding the solution. ;D

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

15. OP
    OP
    j

jinnix New Member Member

I'll definitely do all those things. Are there any suggestions about what to do now for my danio? He's still alive and still trying. He'll swim up to the top and then sink to the bottom. Not a single other symptom. No red gills, no bloating, no puffed eyes, no torn fins

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice