Danio laying on bottom of tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jinnix

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
One of my zebra danios is laying on the bottom of the tank. I had a hard time finding him in the tank so I added some food. I noticed he was swimming erratically and then would slowly sink back down to the bottom. He's specifically laying on his right hand side. I separated him from the tank and put him with half old tank water and half new water and added some prime in case it's an ammonia spike. We've got four total zebra danios, three leopard danios, and one tiny guppy. He's still laying on his side in the smaller tank and will occasionally swim around before sinking back down.
Any ideas? Is he doomed?

OP
J

jinnix

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What are your water parameters and what tank size? Also, does he appear to have any outer signs of sickness on his body?
Water parameters were good yesterday, and today I'm out of stuff to check. No other signs of illness, and this morning he was swimming around fine with no problems

OP
J

jinnix

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I was using just test strips, but I got it tested at my LFS saturday who uses the liquid test and they said water was perfect. It's a 20g tank. I now have him in a very small bowl to have isolated. It's less than a gallon but it's all I have. Should I put him back in the tank so he'll have more room?

OP
J

jinnix

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
No, they just said everything was fine. So no ideas on what's wrong with my danio? He still keeps swimming to the top of the bowl and then sinking back down to the bottom

OP
J

jinnix

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
No, not even that. He looks completely fine, that's why I'm so baffled. I feel bad having him in such a small bowl so I'm thinking I'll put him back into the regular tank. I'm afraid it might be ammonia poisoning so I've added some prime and I'll be doing a water change tomorrow. Hopefully he makes it, I don't know what else to do

LiterallyHydro

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
A big symptom of ammonia poisoning is seeing red gills. It wouldn't be a bad idea to pick up a liquid test kit and test the water he's currently in to see if there is ammonia.

OP
J

jinnix

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
He doesn't have red gills, and we've switched his water so he's in completely new water. He's still alive this morning, but keeps sinking to the bottom on his right side. It doesn't look like his fin is hurt. I've read that he might be constipated or stressed out?

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No, they just said everything was fine. So no ideas on what's wrong with my danio? He still keeps swimming to the top of the bowl and then sinking back down to the bottom
I wouldn't trust them when they say everything is "fine". Stores have been known to say that a small amount of ammonia/nitrite is "fine".
Next time ask what the exact parameters are. And I would get your own API liquid test kit as well.

LiterallyHydro

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
What he said, as well as I earlier. You need an API master test kit. Strips are notorious for being inaccurate and besides, you feel like a scientist when you're adding the solution. ;D

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

OP
J

jinnix

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'll definitely do all those things. Are there any suggestions about what to do now for my danio? He's still alive and still trying. He'll swim up to the top and then sink to the bottom. Not a single other symptom. No red gills, no bloating, no puffed eyes, no torn fins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Weekly

Votes: 53 67.9%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 10 12.8%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 14 17.9%

Top Bottom