Danio Help?

Nathaneto2

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hi all,

i have a 1 year old albino zebra danio.
recently she has been behaving differently, not eating, becoming skinny, being along, and she seems to have developed some unnatural curvature in her spine. she spends her time on the other side of the tank, tilting back and forth. my parameters are normal 0:0:20 and I just did a 50% water change. any ideas as to what issues may be occuring?

thanks

Stryphe89

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Poor fishy

I'm absolutely no kind of expert but it sounds like it could be fish TB... and most of the cases I've seen where people have mentioned a fish having this disease has been with Zebra Danios.

Common symptoms include loss of scales, loss of color, lesions on the body, wasting ('becoming skinny'), and skeletal deformities (curved spines)

Here's a link with more information:

Fish Tuberculosis

Be extra careful if this is the case, as it's something that can be passed to humans as well...

Nathaneto2

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Stryphe89 said:
Poor fishy

I'm absolutely no kind of expert but it sounds like it could be fish TB... and most of the cases I've seen where people have mentioned a fish having this disease has been with Zebra Danios.

Common symptoms include loss of scales, loss of color, lesions on the body, wasting ('becoming skinny'), and skeletal deformities (curved spines)

Here's a link with more information:

Fish Tuberculosis

Be extra careful if this is the case, as it's something that can be passed to humans as well...
Okay, can it be passed on to other fish? I think I have had a danio die of this before. . .

Stryphe89

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yes, it can be passed on the other fish, humans, and other animals as well. It can also live in the water and soil for a time without a host. The link I gave you gives some information about it. I would highly recommend reading up about it.

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Definitely read up on fish TB if you are unfamiliar. Something everyone should be aware of regardless of if they think a fish has it.
Spinal curvature in fish TB is generally well documented so if the curvature isn't similar to confirmed photos then it's unlikely that is the case.
Genetics can play a part in sudden curvature although I've not see that type of deformity come up in danios over the years, I have had it occur in live bearers a number of times generally after a netting or injury seems more like a spinal weakness that becomes apparent after an event.
Some parasites can also cause wasting which after a time can appear to be a curved spine or due to the degradation in health of the fish can actually cause enough weakness in the fish that the spine appears curved.
Both of those scenarios have an obviously different type and severity of the curvature than TB.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom