Danio Help

1. M

Marinedude17422 New Member Member

Hey guys, I was thinking to get some Danios to fill out the top of my tank, can anyone tell me anything about these fish as far as schooling, care, compatability, etc. Happy fourth!

2. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Hi there! :)

Well, depends on what type of danio you're talking about. If you're talking about zebra danios, they need schools of six or more to feel secure and therefore be less nippish. They also need at least a 20g tank, as they're quite active. Before I go any further, can you give me some more details on what you're doing? Such as the tank size and what kind of danio you want?

3. J

JMcRae Valued Member Member

More the merrier. My zebra's are a lot happier with 11 than they were in a school of 6

4. OP
    OP
    M

29 gallon planted tank and I would love at least 2 species of danio, preferably one would be glofish

5. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

What about celestial pearl danios?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. BornThisWayBettas

Glofish danios are actually just a version of the zebra danio, which are very hardy fish. I'd recommend doing all the research you can on both glofish danios and zebra danios.

7. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

If you got zebras and glofish it would look like two different kinds but they should still school together. You could even get the long fin zebras for more of a difference in appearance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

8. Dom90

You can't do both glowlight danios and zebra danios together. They have different temperature requirements.

By the way for above posters, there is no such thing as glofish danios, only glowlight danios :p

9. Bijou88

it posted the whole fish, but if you scroll down to danios....glofish danios...

The glofish are just genetically modified zebras is my understanding, so they have the same temp requirements.

10. Dom90

Sometimes Petsmart links don't want to seem to work on iPhone app

Got it to work but doesn't change a thing. Says here temp 70-82, zebra danios are 64-72.

11. Bijou88

Well, Google glofish danio then they're a thing I promise, lol.

12. SnyperTodd

SnyperTodd Valued Member Member

I agree with @Bihou88, Glofish danios are simply zebra danios that have been genetically modified to...glow. There's no reason to believe they'd have a different temperature requirement.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

13. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

https://www.fishlore.com/profile-glofish.htm

14. BornThisWayBettas

Too bad I missed out on the majority of this discussion, because I own glofish danios haha! So yeah, they are definitely a thing! ;)

15. OP
    OP
    M

Haha thanks guys, I went with a school of 2 golden danios, 2 longfins, and 4 glo danios and they all school happily together! They really like to swim around my gourami for whatever reason too

16. NeonRasta

NeonRasta Valued Member Member

Zebra danios and giant danios love high flow tanks I have a school of 8 of each in my 180 gallon and they always swim in the the current of my powerheads if you get danios use a powerhead and have it near the top so they can swim in the current they are a very active fish