Danio Fry?

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I need to know.

I did a water change yesterday and when I sat down to observe the fish to make sure they were ok, I noticed 2 small little "things" swimming in the tank. I thought they were just bug larvae so didn't think much of it when the danios swallowed them up (well one that I saw).

But thinking about it more, I did some searching around and come to find out.... I got the type of danio wrong and it seems as though I have 3 females and one male in my tank right now. So finding this out... I think those little "things" were actually fry.

I did another water change today and lo & behold... I see one pop up. I race to the kitchen to get a glass to put it in, but it disappeared before I could scoop it up. I disturbed the gravel a little and out popped one that I quickly netted and put into the glass and eventually a plastic baggy that I'm floating in the tank right now.
Another had popped up as well, but I lost it while trying to fish it out of the net..
Here are some pics....

Here is just a far away shot of the baggy I have it in now and my 4 oinkers inspecting it to see if it's food.... If ya look cose you can see the little thing sitting in the bag.
14.jpg

& here is a closeup of the fry with alot of bubbles on the outside of the baggy
15.jpg

And here are some pics of when I first scooped it out and put it in a glass.
16.jpg

17.jpg

There aren't 2 of them.. it's just the reflection
18.jpg

So am I dealing with bebeh fish?
How long will they be hiding in the rocks/gravel?

If they are babies I think we're gonna be getting one of those breeder nets? to put them in.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
If they are fry

CONGRATULATIONS!!

One of my danios realeased some eggs recently but all the other danios ate the eggs before I realised what was happening.  :-\ I'm hoping 1 or 2 may have survived but it's probably very unlikely.

Yes so like Shollia asked, How long will they be hiding in the rocks/plants/gravel if any of them survived?

Good luck with the fry!!  ;D

Gwenz

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score
Heh thanks..  ;D That is IF they are fishies which I'm hoping! I wanted to get a couple more danios so this would save me a trip to Superpets (*ugh* but it's the only petsore that carries these variety) to get more.

More questions.... when we get a breeders net (if they are fish).... should we disturb the gravel and get them into the net that way? Or wait until they come out from hiding? I'm just afraid that when they eventually do start coming out, that the other danios are going to eat them before I even realize they're even there.

Also... when should I start thinking about giving them fry food? Or powdered flakes? This one still looks SO tiny.. like it just hatched or something... should I try to get it to go back into the gravel and leave it alone? Should I just get the breeders net and put it in there? When I get the net... what should I put into it? Some of the rocks/gravel?

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score
Alrighty... we zipped over to Walmart as soon as bf got home and got this really huge (least that's how it looks) breeders cage/net thing. I guess it's good though to hold a few in there until they get big enough to get out into the rest of the tank.

Anywho! The "thing" was dumped out of the bag and into the net. It's wedged itself a little inbetween one of the bars and the netting but it looks content.

I really could use some help in identifying this little guy and if it would be ok to disturb the gravel to fish out mroe to put into the net.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you can't see em then niether can the Big Danios. They'll be better off in the main tank with lots of food. If fry aren't eaten like right away they have a good chance of surviving.

Congrats on the fry!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score
Oh they saw the one that was swallowed, and they're always on the bottom looking for food scraps.. that's why I'm worried.

I did another water change today since the ammonia was a bit high.. but instead of just pouring the bucket of water down the drain, I took a glass and scooped out all the water to inspect it before I poured it into the sink.

I found 2 swimming ones and one that looks like it's still in a fetus state. I put them all into the net. I'm not sure if one of the swimming ones was dead though. It's so hard to tell since they don't really move all that much unless disturbed alot. The other swimmer was still as well, but perked up once I put them into the net. I have no idea how to tell if the fetus one is still alive though. We'll just have to see about that one I guess.

I'll probably have to do another water change tomorrow.... we'll see if anymore pop up.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I still don't think you should be too worried about any loose fry. They will find a nice hiding place and come out when they're too big to be eaten.
There's no harm in putting them in the net for now except I'm just wondering what they're going to eat.

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score
0morrokh said:
I still don't think you should be too worried about any loose fry.  They will find a nice hiding place and come out when they're too big to be eaten.
There's no harm in putting them in the net for now except I'm just wondering what they're going to eat.
Yeah I'm worried about that as well. That's why I dunno if I should just leave them in there or not. I know if I try to put them back in the regular area.. they most probably wont go back into the gravel like the very first 2 that I saw & will eventually get eaten.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't know much about breeder cage/nets. Is there a place where you can put food? If there is you coul;d try crushing up flakes realy small and just feed them a little to see if they eat it.

Just a suggestion

Gwenz

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I believe crushed flakes are too big for danio fry. they are usually fed little microscopic critters.
Fry are smart...they wouldn't just walk into a Big Danio's mouth. They have a strong survival instinct. I don't think they would all get eaten if they were in the main tank. just my opinion though.

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yeah I tryed the crushed flakes thing... I crushed them as small as I could but it's still too big for the fry so I had to fish it out of the net.

I did a 50% water change today since the ammonia was a little high and found 3 or 4 more of them. I put them in the net though b/c tomorrow we're gonna go and get some liquid fry food. Hopefully they'll be ok until then.

I also found what I think are eggs. I put them into the net as well b/c I didn't know what else to do with them. I'm not sure how you're supposed to tell if they're fertilized or not.. but I guess we'll see in a few days if they survive.
I know the ones that are still down in the rocks will be ok without me getting them into the breeders net... I'm just super paranoid that they're gonna get eaten even if there is no chance that they will be heh

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Unfertilized eggs will soon turn white because bacteria grows on them. They need to be removed immediately or they will infect the healthy eggs too.

Btw, now that you have fry you need to keep the ammonia extremely low. Fry have zero tolerance for toxins in the water. You should probably do extra or bigger water changes to try and keep them healthy.

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score
0morrokh said:
Unfertilized eggs will soon turn white because bacteria grows on them.  They need to be removed immediately or they will infect the healthy eggs too.

Btw, now that you have fry you need to keep the ammonia extremely low.  Fry have zero tolerance for toxins in the water.  You should probably do extra or bigger water changes to try and keep them healthy.

*nodnod*
I'm trying to keep the ammonia under control now that the tank seems to finally be cycling. I hope they're gonna be ok!
Oh and from my last count.. it seems though there are now 7 of them in the net. Could be more if some are hiding in between the net and the plastic stuff though. One of them was swimming around alot today. They're just So cute! I really hope some if not all of them make it!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Most fry that hatch from eggs are too small to eat crushed flakes but there are lots of goodies(microscopic creatures) in the gravel for them to eat. if you want to put them in the net you could feed them infusoria. To make infusoria crush a lettuce leaf, cover it with wter and let it sit in strong light( not sunlight) about 24 hrs. Shine a light through the container, you should see tiny dust looking creatures. These are infusoria several times a day put some of the "tea" in the net with the fry. Doing this you have to keep a very close check on water parameters. Hope that helps
Carol

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score
Alrighty... I'll try that cause now I'm not sure if we are gonna be able to make it to a petstore tonight. Totally forgot that my dog has a vet appointment.

Thanksfully we have some lettace left over from taco night! heh

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score
Welp...... I know I've said I hated the place many times before, but we went there again tonight (ugh).... to look for some liquid fry food.
Not very surprising that they didn't have any.
We did pick up some amquel? Or something like that. It's supposed to get rid of ammonia, chlorine, and that other chl thing.. so I'll be using that to help keep the ammonia in check for a while so my fish will be ok.

Did a 10% water change today. I should've done more, but everything was so hectic with my brother coming home from the hospital that I almost forgot to do the 10%.

Oh and I found 3 more fry. 1 was still in that curled up shape... but was still moving. The other 2 were swimming. I thought one was dead though b/c it didn't have the 2 black eye dots all the others have. It looked more tannish so thought it was dead, but it swam away when I tryed to scoop it out of the container.
So total in the net now=10 or so that I can actually see heh.

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score
Woot! Went to Petsmart today thanks to my brother who drove me.
And thankfully they had liquid fry food.
I can't tell if they ate any that I dropped in there, but I hope so!
There are 2 that have started to swim up to the surface. I guess looking for food. The others are still clinging to the side of the net or laying on the bottom. Some of them are probably dead though unfortunatly We'll have to see though. Since they don't move alot it's hard to tell.
The 2 that are swimming to the top are just so cute!

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score
So... after I disturbed some of the fake plants looking for my missing danio.. I noticed 2 tiny black things had attached themselves to the rock near the tall one in the back. Yep.. there were 2 fry down there.
One of them eventually went back into the rocks while the other hung out on one of the rocks.
I did a water change and am hoping it went back down, but doing my now usual routine with water changes... I found 4 more fry.
Some of them seem to be doing ok while others... not so well. I just hope a few of them survive!

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Since your tank is still cycling, be prepared that some of the fry might not make it. This is not your fault or anything, it's just fry are sensitive to toxins. They have done well so far so that must mean you are doing a great job keeping the water clean even though it is cycling. I hope the fry continue to do well. Let us know hwo they are doing. I think you will be amazed at how fast they grow, if they are anything like my Guppies were.

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score
Unfortunatly... it seems as though alot of them have died :'(
Before when you looked into the breeders net.. you could see alot of them clinging to the net walls and a couple had started swimming to the top. Now... there are only a few clinging to the wall and none at the top *sigh*
I know there will be more.... still sad though

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom