Danio fry

1. Five 97 Well Known Member Member

So about a week ago... alot of my danio eggs hatched :)
    and now... we're leaving on a 4 day trip, I'm wondering if the fry will survive until my return without any food? bizaliz3

2. Pikachu13131 Member Member

Some will probably survive,theres no one to take care of them for you?

3. Five 97 Well Known Member Member

Nope.

4. Pikachu13131 Member Member

They might be able to find something to eat in the substrate.

5. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

I have no experience with danios or danios fry. I really don't know! What are they eating so far?

I wonder if they'd be able to nip on one of those feeder blocks...or vacation feeders....whatever they are...

6. Pikachu13131 Member Member

it might cause a ammonia spike if it's left in there for four days.

7. Moxiee Initiate Member

I have 2 week old Danio fry in their own tank and the day I was to leave for a 3 day vacation was the day I found them I had an infusoria culture going I put a clump of java moss several drops of infusoria kept a small underwater light on for the java moss hoping that it would help the infusoria reproduce/grow in my tank when I got back they were just fine

you are going to have a lot of them die off that's just how they are made I started with 100 or so and I have 11 that have survived and are doing well

8. KingD Well Known Member Member

If you have plants in the tank, the fry will feed of the biofilm or something like that on the plants. I had a zebra danio fry survive in an unfiltered, unheated plant holding bucket for about 10 days. I didn't know it was in there as the bucket was used only for plants. So your fry should be fine with some live plants

9. Protim Sarkar Well Known Member Member

Agreed with KingD.

10. Five 97 Well Known Member Member

Ok, I just got back from the trip, and I noticed the amount of fry did decrease, but only by a little... I had too many anyway :) and I've been feeding them hikari's first bites ever since they were hatched.
    sorry for not replying for a while, I posted this thread a few hours before leaving for the trip, so never got to read the posts posted after I left.