DANGER lurking!

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Last night when the lights went off...I set out to try to get a photo of my Black Ghost Knife. I know where he hangs out all day, and can see him in the mirror behind the tank, but I wanted a good picture.

After several unsuccessful attempts, I gave up. ALL was well in my 125 gallon tank. I went blissfully to sleep.

This morning I woke up to a dead redline shark! He was tightly wound in Java Moss! When I bought these fish I got 12 to have some to sell "MAYBE"....but I wanted 6 for my tank.....well not all were completely healthy. I lost 2 right off, then when I was gone a couple of weeks another died. Since I got back another two, they just lost color, stopped schooling, and despite taking them out to the hospital tank they just slipped away.

This left 7 super shinny, healthy growing fish...until last night.

THE JAVA MOSS that I had put in that tank to give possible molly fry a fighting chance, did him in. All I can think of is that the extra upset after dark of my photo session, caused him to "hide" and he couldn't get out. He was thoroughly caught in the moss, so it was hard for me to peal it off. I was so frustrated with myself, because he was one of the healthy 7, now it is 6........just the number I wanted.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm so sorry to hear that
carol

Martinismommy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm sorry to hear this My fish must be odd because they actually like me taking their photo..The come right up to the side and almost smile for the camera...

Angela_96

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Im sorry to hear that about your fish. My Mbunas love picture time, but my others run from the camera... My mothers angels came to the front of the tank for the camera the other day...

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't think the redline sharks are afraid of the camera......It is the Black Ghost Knife fish...it doesn't come out in the daytime...At night it is all over the tank....but by trying to photograph it in the dark, it was all over the tank...It is about 10 inches, and I can imagine where the normal peaceful tank at night was in an uproar...

This is all just what I imagine happened to drive the redline into the java moss......It is the end result that frustrates me...that I lost one of the really healthy ones to something that might have been avoided.

Today I'm taking the Java Moss out of this tank, and putting it over into my 10 gallon.....

I just need more tanks! I want to have some species tanks......

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
awww sorry to hear that...big hugs!!!!!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm sorry to hear that you lost him. That's definitely a freak accident. :'(