Danger! Danger! Help!

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by 1BGM1, Apr 13, 2017.

1. 1

1BGM1 New Member Member

I just got home from work to find that my HOB has been running for I don't even know how long, with no water being pumped through it, I fixed it for now but now I'm extremely worried, I'm going away for the weekend and nobody will be coming to check on my fish, have timers set up and vacation feeders ready to go, if the same thing happens again can the HOB catch fire??? I have a cobalt ext canister filter that I just hooked up less than two weeks ago running but I doubt it has enough BB to sustain my fish, I'm nearly through my cycle, should I just unplug it and hope for the best or will it be safe to leave running??

2. RedLoredAmazon

RedLoredAmazon Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore! :)

Throw the HOB media into the new canister and just run the canister. That should help keep things going for your cycle and be much safer than an untrustworthy HOB. There's no sense in putting your fish and your home in danger running it still!

3. OP
    OP

1BGM1 New Member Member

I have a penguin biowheel, there's no open space in my canister for the cartridge or biowheel to go, should I just throw the biowheel in the tank?

Edit: biowheel probably dried out in the time it wasn't working so should I assume that all of the BB died? Thanks in advance

4. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

If any of the media is still wet, some of it should still be good, you could put it right into the tank.

5. Punkin

Punkin Well Known Member Member

I have a penguin biowheel for my Qt tank. I've had to cut the floss off the cartridge and put it in my main tank hob to keep it seeded. If you can cut as large a square as possible, can you put that in the canister? Then you can rubber band it back onto the frame, or better yet put a new cartridge in with the cut piece next to it when you get back?

6. OP
    OP

1BGM1 New Member Member

I just changed the filter this morning but I just remembered about the bag of carbon I stashed underneath it, I just tossed it under the pump for the cobalt so I would assume the BB would rise up into it? And since the biowheel will be dry when I get back Sunday (leaving tonight - girlfriends should have picked her up 30 mins ago) I guess I'll have to wait and see if the fish are still alive :(

Edit: carbon bag has been in there for a few weeks

7. RedLoredAmazon

RedLoredAmazon Well Known Member Member

Sorry to hear that! Hopefully your fish will be ok!

8. Punkin

Punkin Well Known Member Member

I'd stash the wheel in the tank to at least keep it wet.

9. OP
    OP

1BGM1 New Member Member

Thanks everyone for the replies, I threw the charcoal bag in there and left the house, worst case I come home to a bunch of dead fish, a lot better than coming home to a find the house is gone, but we'll see what happens when I get home tomorrow night

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice