Dang...camallanus Worms

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Zahc, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Zahc

Zahc Well Known Member Member

Well, not having a quarantine tank for the past 5-6 years has finally caught up with me. This morning I noticed Camallanus worms poking out of my largest Angelfish. Iv'e not seen any signs of it on any other fish, which doesn't surprise me because all my other fish were bought from online or my LFS. The larger angelfish I got from a store close by, but its iffy (Pet Store not an LFS), I took a silly risk, and I think that's where the issue has occurred from. I'm pretty gutted at this point, as i've only had ich once, and that was years back when I first started. Iv'e got some relatively expensive fish aswell now, so its really a big wake up call on how important quarantine tanks are.

Anyway, iv'e just gone out and gotten Levamisole Hydrochloride a Pig and Poultry wormer, as from what i've read it's the only thing that works properly treating this. I've got the dosage rate and it's here ready to start dosing but there are a few things i'm still unsure about.

My plan is to treat all my fish in the 75. I just need to move my L270 back over fro the 33 to to the 75, as he was in there a few weeks earlier so i'm assuming he will have it aswell. I'm going to remove all my plants and some hardscape and just toss it all in my 33 for now. So there will just be play sand, and couple pieces of driftwood for the plecos in the 75. I will treat the tank for 2-3 days, then on day 3 do a 80% water change, then another 80% a few hours later. Followed by the same process 2 weeks later. I have a few questions though.

1. Obviously, i'm concerned about BB. Will this Levamisole Hydrochloride kill most of my BB ?

2. Is it fine for me to take out plants and hardscape? Or do they need to be treated aswell ? It would be alot easier for me to keep it clean and observe my fish after taking it all out, as my tank is a complete jungle. But, i'm not sure if plants and hardscape would be infected buy Camallanus aswell ?

If anyone has had experience with this and has any recommendations on what to do, please speak up, and thanks in advance. Im just wanting to hear others experiences before i start treatment.

@CindiL I would really love to hear from you if you, if you have the time. You come across very knowledgeable about fish illness/disease.

2. n

nedpatrick Well Known Member Member

I dealt with this a couple of weeks ago and am happy to say it's gone. Levamisole will not affect the bb. For your treatment you should do this instead dose the tank(what is your dosage rate), cover the entire tank preventing light from entering the tank(levamisole is rendered useless when exposed to light), after one day you should do your water change not three. Also I would keep the decor in because the worms are visibly hanging out of the fish correct? If they are like this than the eggs have reached the tank and it's hardscape. I would treat the 33 as well if there is even a little chance it has been contaminated. It is going to be harder due to the fact that this tank is not bare bottom. I would vacuum the substrate multiple times to make sure you get the worms.

3. OP
    OP
    Zahc

Okay thank you!

I've just moved all hardscape and plants to the 33, and did a small 40% water change. The L270 is acclimating to the 75 and i'm about to put him in. I will then dose the tank with 14ml per 70L. My LFS directed this dosage rate and I trust them 100% (they also got me the Levamisole).

I will cover the tank in a blanket, and do several water changes with thorough siphoning after 24 hours. I'm also going to treat the 33 with everything in it just incase. I'm really hoping I have caught it early and all my fish pull through. I will keep updating.

4. OP
    OP
    Zahc

It's done, I dosed the tank and no one seems to have noticed and everyone is acting normal so that's a good sign. I've got the lights off and blankets covering both sides so I can just see through the front. Now it's just the waiting game. Hoping this works out!

5. n

Just to check the blankets cover all four sides of the tank. Right? Even a little bit of light will render it useless.

6. OP
    OP
    Zahc

It was completely covered after I dosed, though I was lifting up the front so I could observe, and from what I could barely see its already working. It's night time here now so it's completely dark and I can't see in, but last I checked I could see a singular worm being expelled from my largest Angelfish. Still, there was no sign of it coming from my other fish.

Is it really that light sensitive ? It says on the bottle it can be added to drinking water and/or mixed with food for pigs/poultry so I'm assuming its not light sensitive to that extremity.

Ill have a quick glance in the morning and see how my Angelfish is going, and if any other fish are expelling the worms, followed by a thorough siphoning.

7. n

While it's not extremely light sensitive. Being exposed to light will lower the amount in the water and then there could possibly not be enough of it to work. There are some versions that are resistant to levamisole. If you don't see any improvement(worms expelled) than you may want to try fenbendazole flakes(this medicine is not water soluble and needs to be fed in flake food)

8. OP
    OP
    Zahc

UPDATE:
    This morning when I had my first look (18 hours after dosing) I could still see a worm coming out of my largest angelfish, still no sign of it from my other fish though. About 45 minutes later I had another look, and it had been expelled completely. I still kept observing often, but that's the last one I've seen now.

So after 24 hours, I did a 70-80% water change. I siphoned everything I could off the top of my sand twice. I did see a few worms in the process. I'm not sure if my other fish are expelling them so fast I don't notice, or they aren't affected from it yet. The large angel is the only one I've witnessed with camallanus.

Anyway, the fish responded well to a water change as usual. I fed them 30 minutes after, everyone is eagerly eating, even the plecos are out munching on some zucchini. I've been watching the large angel every 10 or so minutes, to see if the camallanus are still pushing out. There has been no sign of them since this morning. Obviously this is far from over, but I think it's definitely improving.

My only concern is her vent area is now a lot larger than usual, almost as if it's been stretched, she also has a slight bump above it aswell. Here are some pics anyway.

Before treatment
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

Mid water change
    [​IMG]

Now
    [​IMG]

Infected Angelfish
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. n

My keyholes were the only fish infected in my tank. They displayed that bump before I treated them. The bumb in my case was actually the worms themselves so once I treated it disappeared. I would watch it and see what happens. Glad that the treatment worked! Now just repeat it once more in 2-3 weeks. And beautiful angels by the way.

10. OP
    OP
    Zahc

Will definitely keep an eye on it! I plan to dose again in 2 weeks. Depending on how things go, possibly a 3rd, though I don't think it will be necessary.

Cheers for the compliment, the larger one really is a stunner, hence why I took the risk and bought her from a shop that I never usually buy fish from. You live and you learn though haha.

I've decided i'm going to re-cycle my 33, and sterilise filters, powerheads, heater, thermometer etc. I'm also going to take out most of the sand, leaving less then 1 cm all round. It's what the plan was anyway as i'm wanting to breed L270 in the near future in that tank, so a very shallow substrate will be needed.

Ill be doing another 70-80% water change tomorrow morning (its 11:55 pm here), just incase I missed anything today. Things are going smoothly for now!

11. n

Same thing happened to me. I bought from a
    new store that had just opened and it introduced columnaris and camallanus all at once I lost over half my stock.i would also sterilize the sand in the 33 somehow since the worms eggs can hatch in sand.

12. OP
    OP
    Zahc

I'm still going to treat the 33G aswell as the 75 a second time to take care of that, or do I need to clean the substrate in both tanks manually in buckets ?

That's a shame, especially from a brand new store, you, or I know I would expect better. 2 infections at once would have been a nightmare!

13. n

No I don't think you would need to clean all the substrate manually. I didn't in mine and everything is good so far. It was a nightmare with both at once I was losing 3-6 fish a day.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice