"dandelion fluff" on inside of tank glass

sgould

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Best description I can come up with. Just looks like little white/transparant globs stuck all over the inside face of my glass that look kind of like miniature dandelion fluffs. They are stuck to the glass by a point, with a flared end that flutters free in the current. Any ideas?

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
How long have you had this tank? Maybe it's some type of algae? Read this article: and see if it helps you.

sgould

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Only about 2 weeks. It does not look like any of the algae forms discussed in the article (thanks, though!). I will give the tank walls a good cleaning, partial water change, and turn up the flow on the filter a bit and see what happens.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hmm, alrighty Before you clean the glass, would it be possible for you to take a picture of these strange fluffy things? (lol )

sgould

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Too late! The fluffies are no more!

I am obviously watching to see if they come back, but I am not sure how well they would translate in a picture...they were all over, but hard to see as they were both small and nearly translucent. It may well be some variety of algae. If so, I am sure the algae eaters I am planning to stick in there after cycling will be very happy!

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
OK It could have been algae you know. Some algae are weird-looking. Look at the "fuzz" algae: or at the "staghorn" algae:

sgould

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks for the info...I will attempt a picture if it comes back. I suspect you are probably right...algae of some kind.

shishun

Reaction score
i know what your talking about..
mine didnt grow on the tank surface but on my water plant...
juz shine a veri bright light and u can see it veri clearly..
i tried taking a picture but well the camera on my phone sux alright..
i oso dunno whats that, maybe algae like all had said?
cuz i only realised those things after my angels died from tiger barbs and white spot(i guess)

can it be the staghorn algae?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom