Damselfly Larvae

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Help! I just caught a crazy looking alien in my shrimp tank. Okay, it was a damsel fly larvae. still! He's probably been munching on my little shrimpies. Luckily i caught him (and he will be betta food soon), but what can i do if there are more? Is there anything i can do other than catch them?

SixThreeOh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd move the shrimp. Tear down the tank and restart it with new gravel and decorations. If there's one there's two, and if there's two, there's... more. I may be a bit irrational since I had some damselfly nymphs wipe out my blue diamond colony. I removed 2 nymphs, but by the time I tore down the tank, there were over twenty.

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
SixThreeOh said:
I'd move the shrimp. Tear down the tank and restart it with new gravel and decorations. If there's one there's two, and if there's two, there's... more. I may be a bit irrational since I had some damselfly nymphs wipe out my blue diamond colony. I removed 2 nymphs, but by the time I tore down the tank, there were over twenty.
Oh man! That’s way worse than i thought... Luckily i am in the process of moving shrimp into this new tank, so i guess i can move them back into the old tank and start the new tank over.

Would hydrogen peroxide kill them? I am wondering if i can use that to clean my plants and driftwood.

Nasty little buggers!

aae0130

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Theyre a pain to remove. I pull 1 outof my shrimp tank every few days but its overgrow pretty badly so its hard to see anything in it.

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
smee82 said:
Theyre a pain to remove. I pull 1 outof my shrimp tank every few days but its overgrow pretty badly so its hard to see anything in it.
How do they keep getting in there? i am guessing they came in on plants that i recently bought, but there would have to be adult damselflies for them to keep reappearing, right?

wodesorel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The nymphs can live for years in some cases, depending on the species and conditions.

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
wodesorel said:
The nymphs can live for years in some cases, depending on the species and conditions.
Geez!

That dude was scary looking, too. For a moment i thought it was a shrimp but then it slithered.

I smushed him and tried feeding him to my betta. It floated down past Banshee, who completely ignored the damselfly corpse. Oh well. I scooped it out of the tank and gave my betta pellets.

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
wodesorel said:
I think i read somewhere they usually live for atleast 3yrs before they change so you can have them for a while.

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
smee82 said:
I think i read somewhere they usually live for atleast 3yrs before they change so you can have them for a while.
Oh man. They sound evil.

I am hoping i can get away with removing shrimp, taking out and washing all decor and plants in hydrogen peroxide, doing a good gravel vac, and hopefully eliminating those buggers.

I am now kicking myself. I bought plants a few weeks ago. In my excitment i didn’t wash them... never again. I think i actually remember seeing a larvae in one of the tanks at the LFS, but not thinking much of it other than “That’s a weird critter.” Now that i know what they are i will be much more careful.

BillynJennifer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Rachel O'leary used a chitin inhibitor in her outside shrimp tanks to take care of all of these little nasties.

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Unfortunately i don’t think that would work in shrimp tanks. I just found her video on outdoor pond pests, and she talks about using it in fish tubs but not for shrimp. It kills the larvae by preventing them from molting, so would also kill shrimp for the same reason.

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welp, i found this guy lurking above my tank today. Sadly that means there was at least one other nymph in my tank. On the plus side now it has been relocated to the outdoors, where it will probably die slowly as punishment for messing with my shrimp. I really hope there aren’t any more in my tank.

ACD1502C-4700-4AAF-8D7B-E70E94E118CF.jpeg

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom