Damaged Betta

1. s2dat Member Member

Hey everybody

Normally id do a search before starting a new thread but im facing an emergency and which is why im requesting any direct support.

Basically i have 29 gallon running for ~4 weeks stocked with:
    1 male betta
    2 silver mollies
    4 Cories
    1 Dwarf gourami

In one just night my betta's fins have been deteriorated to the level that it is almost dead. i dont think its fin rot since theres no visible signs and no other habitants are showing any symptoms. i do have an aquaclear 30 filter and live plants. i have quarantined the betta and did a water change. But im just concerned as to what the cause could be and what can i do in future to prevent it from happening. I did just go ahead and return one of the mollies.

thank you

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi welcome to FishLore
    I'm really sorry about your Betta. :(
    Bettas normally don't make good community fish. Either they are aggressive to tank mates or other fish can't resist the flowing fins of a betta.
    I'd blame the Gourami. They're not at all compatible with bettas.

I'm glad you moved the betta.
    I would suggest her have a 5g heated, filtered tank of his own.
    Keep the water pristine to help prevent infection. You can add some extra Stress Coat, Vita-chem and garlic guard to help with his healing.

Good luck, I hope he perks up.

3. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

welcome to fishlore. Lucy's given you great advice. :)

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello S2 and Welcome to Fish Lore. I hope your Betta is going to be ok. Great info from Lucy I agree!
    Ken

5. Diggly Well Known Member Member

I agree that it was most likely the gourami and not the mollies.

I am sorry this has happened I know fish can be nawty!!

6. s2dat Member Member

just an update: Unfortunately the betta passed away overnight:(. As far the conflict between the gourami and betta, they were my first two fish and never seemed to have any issues togtether. One of the mollies was pretty erratic and did nip at the betta.
    Could the addition of the mollies have changed the gourami's temperament?

7. Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, adding the Mollies is most likely what triggered the bad behavior...Sorry you lost your Betta boy...In the future you may want to keep Bettas by themself as they prefer to be kept alone...

8. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

:( I'm so sorry you lost your betta.
    Seconding Martinismommy's suggestion.

9. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

It could have been the mollies, but also, sometimes it's just a matter of time when a betta is added with other fish. I a so sorry for your loss.

10. s2dat Member Member

Thanks for the support everyone.
    While cleaning the 5gallon which I had placed the betta in for quarantine, I noticed that there were small fins in the water and the body of the betta had white spots, I am thinking it might be the notorious fin rot. However I just don’t understand how the other fish are not showing any symptoms and it overtook the betta in one night? I did change my light bulbs to 6700K if that could have caused some stress.

11. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Bettas are slow moving and can easily be attacked while they're sleeping. Please don't blind yourself to the fact that your fish were not compatible

12. s2dat Member Member

Good point Lucy. I did misjudge and will need to take into consideration the gourami in the future.

13. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

;) That's why I have so many tanks. I keep telling my husband it's not my fault all fish can't get along. :;a1

14. Diggly Well Known Member Member

haha Lucy thats nawty!! but its how I got my extra tanks too "I didnt realise they grew that big and we have named him I cant bring them back now"