Damage control!!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by TheFragile, Aug 11, 2015.

1. TheFragileNew MemberMember

Hey all, I was doing a water change and siphoning the rocks today and one of my tetras decided to swim into the siphon!!! I stopped immediately and shook him out, he didn't make it into the tube because he's too big but he was auctioned against the top.

He seems fine at the moment, I can't see any damage to his fins or anything that looks like wounds. He seems a little stunned but I'm not sure if he's ok. Anyone had a fish survive a siphoning!? Ugh. :(

2. Sarcasm IncludedWell Known MemberMember

All the time, but usually they go all the way through to the bucket.
    He should be fine, just keep the water clean.

3. junebugFishlore LegendMember

I suck baby guppies up all the time. It's a bummer but I've never had one die from it.

4. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Just a regular siphon? Or a python? A regular siphon I have had them survive. A python has killed some...

I put a media bag on the end of the gravel vac now if I am cleaning a tank with small fish in it.

5. TheFragileNew MemberMember

I believe it is a regular? It's the kind you shake to make work. I was at a store the other day looking for something that had some kind of netting or something on it. Wasn't sure if one even existed. How do you attach a media bag?

6. Sarcasm IncludedWell Known MemberMember

rubber band or hold it

7. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

The suction from the python holds it on.

I use one with a drawstring, but the string was lost long ago.

8. Merri68Valued MemberMember

My danios seem to enjoy getting sucked into the siphon. Luckily they're real streamlined, so far no injuries yet. It's the corys that worry me. I've almost vaccuumed one of them up, because they're trying to sift through the stirred up gravel like mini roombas. But they're more blocky in shape so I have to ground my siphon till they lose interest. I 'm afraid they' ll ose their stubby little whiskers.

9. TheFragileNew MemberMember

He ate with everyone else; so I'm assuming he's alright at this point. Now he is trying to steal food from my cories so that's a good sign. :)

10. JsigmoWell Known MemberMember

I cut a piece of that plastic knitting stuff (I think they call it "plastic canvas") to fit into the top end of my vacuum tube. The good side is it keeps gravel and big stuff from plugging up the aspirator thing at the faucet, and it keeps fish from being sucked in. The bad side is that really big pieces of poo and such can't get sucked out completely, so I have to do a fancy move to capture them and dump them into a bucket while siphoning. That doesn't happen much, but...

Anyhow, this plastic "screen" for lack of a better description can be found in the crafts aisles of most department stores. I got mine at Wal Mart. It's easy to cut with a regular pair of scissors, so you can get it to the right size to "jam" into the siphon tube.

Small fry would pass right through it, but most fish would be stopped by it.

11. TheFragileNew MemberMember

That or something similar should work well. I only have tetras and cories. My smallest Cory is about an inch and probably won't be quite that small for long :)

12. ChristyFishMomValued MemberMember

If you don't mind me asking... What is the difference between a regular siphon and a python? I thought Python was just a certain brand name?

13. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Python is a water changer. It will drain and refill your tank. You attach it to a sink faucet.

A siphon, or gravel vac, is a vinyl hose attached to a gravel vac. You drain your tank into a bucket.

Gravel vac,

Python,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV1RJzh2OJw

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice