dalmation molly with pop eye Help

Discussion in 'Molly' started by red020804, Mar 23, 2010.

1. red020804

red020804 Valued Member Member

plz help my dalmation female molly has one eye popping out. we had this problem before with our black phantom tetra and we asked the pet store what to do about it and they told us we couldnt do anything for it and a few days later it died. i really dont want to lose another fish. i read this pop eye is not a disease but a symptom of a disease some bacteria infection. plz tell me what to do to help my poor fish before she dies too. :( also is it contagious?

2. e_watson09

e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I'm not really positive about this but I had it happen before as well. I saw it and the fish was still eating and swimming but then a few days later it died. None of my other fish got it so I'm not sure what could have happend. I hope someone with more experience can answer your questions.

3. OP
    OP
    red020804

yeah she is eating and swimming like normal too and so did my tetra. i hope someone can help me soon

nobody has any suggestions?

:animal0068:I've merged your posts as they were back to back with no response. It helps to save some space on the forum.
    Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2010
  4. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning Red.

Pop eye is usually caused by poor water conditions. Can you post your readings for ammonia nitrite and nitrate, pH?

According to your aquarium profile information your tank has just been set up and you are not aware of the nitrogen cycle, link below:
    The Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle

Too, it would be a great help to have a test kit (if you haven't already purchased one) API (liquid) Master Test Kit is what is most widely recommended on this site. It will test for everything mentioned in the nitrogen cycle link.

For now, I would suggest daily 30 to 50% water changes. Your water needs to be as pristine as possible. You can add some Garlic Guard and Vita Chem to the tank. This will help to boost the fishes immune system and give it additional vitamins.

I know this is a lot of information but it's necessary for your tank and fish. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Best wishes.
    Ken

5. OP
    OP
    red020804

according to my test kit which is test strips, the nitrate is in between 0 and 20, nitrite is 2.0, chlorine is 0, alkalinity is 80 and the ph is 7.8. also the ammonia is 0.5 we have tried to put in prime for the nitrite and ammonia to bring it down with no luck and ph decreaser which also didnt work. when i posted this last night we had just done a 25 percent water change because we have been putting rid ich in the tank because some of or fish were showing ich on there bodies. they are looking cured right now but i was told to put in the medcine in for a few days after they look cured to make sure. also currently the temp on or tank is 78-80 F. we cant raise the temp because we dont have a heater nor can we afford to buy one right now. we just raised the temp in our house. we may be hot now but at least the temp is up on the tank. lol i hope this info helped and you can help me.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  6. OP
    OP
    red020804

anyone got an suggestions?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice