Dalmatian Molly Harassing Guppy. Advice needed. Help

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by Kopeth, Apr 12, 2010.

1. KopethWell Known MemberMember

I have a 10g tank with 1 guppy, 1 dal molly, 3 neon tetras and 1 zebra danio.

Question is: My Dalmatian Molly is chasing my guppy around the tank, is there anything I can do to help resolve this? I am planning on getting a 20g tank sometime in the future and I hope this will help out.

I only started noticing this a few weeks ago. The guppy had babies around that time. I'm wondering if my molly thinks she can get free guppy frys and keeps chasing my guppy?

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  2. gef21Valued MemberMember

removing the aggressive fish is really the best way to deal with this.

3. JrobberWell Known MemberMember

Hmm...I've never noticed any of my Mollies being aggressive towards other fish, however I've never had any fish have fry either. Good luck

4. GoGreenWell Known MemberMember

In my experience, one way to curb aggression in a smaller tank, is to try and keep just 1 or 2 species of fish. I think that they are more likely to get along better with there own kind. Do you have any places for your fish to hide? In a 10gallon it is difficult to provide with the number of fish you have in there. (I have become to prefer understocking a tank)
    Also I would keep either all females, or, 1 male and the rest females, depending on the type of fish you choose.
    For the time being, if it were me I would rehome the molly if you are able. If not, try rearranging the decor, is there any place to hide in your tank (bushy leaves, cave, log?)
    Best of luck!

5. jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

is the molly a male? male guppies tend to harass the females right around spawning time (more than the usual 23.5 hours a day lol), just wondering since mollies and guppies can interbreed.

6. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

My thoughts, too... that this is "special" harassment. ;)
    Unfortunately, if you have only one female livebearer in the tank, and the molly is a boy molly, it is easily possible that he can kill her (literally) with his constant need for "attention".

Plus your tank is a bit small for the fish you have... they like some swim space. For example, danios are extremely fast and active - 20 gallons minimum recommended for them.

If you go to the main FL page, there's a list of fish on the right. Those are profiles for each type of fish. They give minimum tank size suggestions, food, etc.

7. KopethWell Known MemberMember

*Update* I was able to relocate my molly to a good home.

She was a great fish, and will be missed.

Both the guppy and molly were female, I think the molly was just a tad aggressive in the 10g tank provided.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice