Help Dalmatian Molly fat/pregnant/dropsy?

JustTheBiggestGuppy

New Member
Member
Messages
10
Reaction score
1
Location
Canada
Experience
2 years
HI I’ve had my Dalmatian Molyl for about a month and I swore it was a male, woke up this morning to him laying at the bottom and very bloated. He refuses to swim around and will only sit at the bottom. I was wondering what this is! His scales might be pointing out but I can’t really see, might be imagining but I will post pics. Also it’s a communal tank with corys, guppies, and snails.

tank specs
Size: 75 gallon
Ph: 7.5
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: <5 ppm
Temp: 24°C
 

Attachments

  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
JustTheBiggestGuppy

JustTheBiggestGuppy

New Member
Member
Messages
10
Reaction score
1
Location
Canada
Experience
2 years
Aaaaalso I feed once a day, not a lot but enough that its gone in 5 minutes.
 

SeaMonkey06

Well Known
Member
Messages
539
Reaction score
662
Location
In the clouds...
Experience
2 years
JustTheBiggestGuppy said:
HI I’ve had my Dalmatian Molyl for about a month and I swore it was a male, woke up this morning to him laying at the bottom and very bloated. He refuses to swim around and will only sit at the bottom. I was wondering what this is! His scales might be pointing out but I can’t really see, might be imagining but I will post pics. Also it’s a communal tank with corys, guppies, and snails.

tank specs
Size: 75 gallon
Ph: 7.5
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: <5 ppm
Temp: 24°C
From what I can tell, his scales don't seem to be pineconing, so it may not be dropsy. Can you get any closer pictures?

I see your nitrate is 0? Have you cycled your tank? Also, even traces of nitrite are deadly to your fish... I recommend doing a water change to fix this.

I also recommend maybe skipping a few feedings as once a day may be a bit too much and may cause him to be bloated.
Hope he gets better!!
 

Heron

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,044
Reaction score
624
Location
Cumbria uk
Experience
5 to 10 years
Definitely male, you can clearly see a gonopodiun. May be dropsy or possibly constipation. Keep the water good and if you have the facility isolate him. Hope he recovers soon.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
JustTheBiggestGuppy

JustTheBiggestGuppy

New Member
Member
Messages
10
Reaction score
1
Location
Canada
Experience
2 years
Okay I think this might be pretty conclusive. Would someone much smarter than me tell me why this happened? It’s a fully cycled tank I’ve had it for over a year with weekly water changes and yet he’s definitely got dropsy :(
 

Attachments

mimo91088

Well Known
Member
Messages
820
Reaction score
843
Location
Massachusetts
Experience
5 to 10 years
JustTheBiggestGuppy said:
Okay I think this might be pretty conclusive. Would someone much smarter than me tell me why this happened? It’s a fully cycled tank I’ve had it for over a year with weekly water changes and yet he’s definitely got dropsy :(
Dropsy is a symptom rather than a specific disease. Any number of things could've caused it. Keep your water parameters in check, do some big water changes, and keep an eye on other fish.
 

SeaMonkey06

Well Known
Member
Messages
539
Reaction score
662
Location
In the clouds...
Experience
2 years
mimo91088 said:
Dropsy is a symptom rather than a specific disease. Any number of things could've caused it. Keep your water parameters in check, do some big water changes, and keep an eye on other fish.
I agree. Don't blame yourself for it.
Do you have a free tank to quarantine him?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10
OP
JustTheBiggestGuppy

JustTheBiggestGuppy

New Member
Member
Messages
10
Reaction score
1
Location
Canada
Experience
2 years
I do have a free tank, it’s only been cycling for like 5 days for a black moor I wanted but I could make that a quarantine tank. It’s 10 gallons with a nice little plant feature for him. I’m only rather upset, any suggestions to make his stay as comfortable as possible?
 

SeaMonkey06

Well Known
Member
Messages
539
Reaction score
662
Location
In the clouds...
Experience
2 years
JustTheBiggestGuppy said:
I do have a free tank, it’s only been cycling for like 5 days for a black moor I wanted but I could make that a quarantine tank. It’s 10 gallons with a nice little plant feature for him. I’m only rather upset, any suggestions to make his stay as comfortable as possible?
If you'd like to cycle the tank, you could use some filter media from some of your other filters to instantly cycle the tank. I think the 10Gal will be good, just make sure he has some spaces to hide in as he will be pretty stressed.

Good luck with the little fella! Hope he gets better soon!
 

Heron

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,044
Reaction score
624
Location
Cumbria uk
Experience
5 to 10 years
SeaMonkey06 said:
If you'd like to cycle the tank, you could use some filter media from some of your other filters to instantly cycle the tank. I think the 10Gal will be good, just make sure he has some spaces to hide in as he will be pretty stressed.

Good luck with the little fella! Hope he gets better soon!
JustTheBiggestGuppy said:
Okay I think this might be pretty conclusive. Would someone much smarter than me tell me why this happened? It’s a fully cycled tank I’ve had it for over a year with weekly water changes and yet he’s definitely got dropsy :(
Sometimes fish get ill for no obvious reason. One cause of dropsy is bacteria that are present in a lot of aquarium water that the fish's immune system keep at Bay. If a fish gets stressed by something it's immunity is compromised just enough that the bacteria takes hold. There are other causes of dropsy though but most disease in fish starts with stress.
Unfortunately you can't prevent all stress in the aquarium so disease is often unavoidable. I have an aquarium that's been running for about 3 years and although I haven't added fish for a year and the water has been perfect for a couple of years but from time to time I get sick fish that need to be quarantined and treated ( and some don't recover ).
What I'm saying is don't blame yourself if fish get ill or die, it's not necessarily down to anything you can control, all you can do is keep your water good and keep an eye out for incompatibility problems.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
200
Guests online
3,089
Total visitors
3,289

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom