Dalmatian molly coloring

Bandicoot

Reaction score
What would cause my dalmatian mollies to lose their white? My LFS says that dalmatian mollies usually lose their black spots and turn white. Even when the few fry that live get big enough to swim with the others they start losing the white, but the ones at the LFS have lots of white.
My water parameters are:
PH-7.5
Ammonia-0.0
Nitrites-0.0
Nitrates 60
I know the nitrates are high. Doing a w/c and gravel vac. Also cleaning the canister filter. Tank has been going for a year and had the dalmatian mollies for 9 months.

mollybabes

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Bandicoot said:
What would cause my dalmatian mollies to lose their white? My LFS says that dalmatian mollies usually lose their black spots and turn white. Even when the few fry that live get big enough to swim with the others they start losing the white, but the ones at the LFS have lots of white.
My water parameters are:
PH-7.5
Ammonia-0.0
Nitrites-0.0
Nitrates 60
I know the nitrates are high. Doing a w/c and gravel vac. Also cleaning the canister filter. Tank has been going for a year and had the dalmatian mollies for 9 months.
Are you talking about fry or adults?

Blackhawksfan4life

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I was told when dalmation mollies get older they either go white or all black now I could be wrong but that was told to me when I asked why my dalmation turned all black and they are not sure why this happens. I wish I could be more helpful

mollybabes

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well My Victoria grew spots and stayed with her.
Leo, Charcoal and Polka were born black but grew to have spots

New Threads