Dalmatian Molly Bread With A Black Molly And Their Children / Fry

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Nelson76, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Nelson76

Nelson76New MemberMember

Okay I have a 55 gallon tank I started off with a 29 gallon tank but everything's been moved to the 55 gal real dirt live planted tank I never got another mail after the mail black Molly died and all the frey appear to be female lately for the past day or two they've been nipping at their mama the female Dalmatian Molly even eating her poop is weird and I'm trying to figure out what's going on if anybody has any ideas the only change that's happened in the past three to four weeks was I added a female swordtail Platy and some shrimp

2. TheeLadyG

TheeLadyGValued MemberMember

Welcome to the forum! There is a lot to learn here. So let's get started.
    *squints* Not to sound snooty but you may want to clarify your post, it's a little hard to read.
    Bread = Bred
    Mail = Male
    Frey = Fry
    Also, punctuation is your friend!

Let me see if I've got this.

You had a 29 gallon tank. You have moved everything to a 55 gallon tank with dirt substrate and live plants. You had a male Black Molly who bred with a female Dalmatian Molly and produced fry. The male Black Molly died. The fry all appear to be female, and have taken to nipping at their mother. You also have added an female Swordtail Platy and shrimp to the mix.

Before anybody can help you, they're going to need a full readout of your tank parameters including:
    Temperature
    PH
    Nitrates
    Nitrites
    Ammonia
    Your current filtration system
    Lighting
    What plants you have
    Photographs of the tank & fish are *very* helpful
    Probably going to need to know how old/big the fry are.

I'm a goldfish keeper so I don't have the answers you need, but if you do want some good answers you gotta ask clear questions and give the right info! And again, welcome to the forums! :)

3. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

Im just here for the bread ( ;) ) and also just to say welcome to the board.

Agree with advise given above. Tank stats and parameters will help up to help you.

4. OP
    OP
    Nelson76

Nelson76New MemberMember

PH 7.6, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5 parts per million. Numerous plants to many to mention but at least 14 different species of plants and I'll show some pictures. I have 7 small mixed mollies Dalmatian Molly and black molly I think they're out of the fry stage now. One large female Dalmatian Molly one male swordtail platy one female swordtail Platy 1 platy female that I don't remember the type I'll specifically take a picture of her because she has become somewhat aggressive also. About six shrimp total various species. 80 gallons of filtration with two types of filter. 1 bubbler with biological media inside of a bottle to Bubble Up through it to help with biological filtration. Thank you for the help I know my typos are bad because I used text to speech and therefore make run-on sentences a lot LOL. Thank you for understanding what was trying to say. So again the issue is the baby fish or young fish are nipping at their mother a large female Dalmatian Molly the mail died about 2 months ago and I know they can store sperm for up to 3 months I think. I've been at work all day so I haven't noticed if she shot out anymore Fry's. I do need to clean my filters but my water quality is fine here are a few pics thank you for any information

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice