Dalmatian mollies dying. Only one left

aqv
Hi everybody. I am a fishkeeper since january, so no experience.
Have a 55g with fake plants. Tank is cycled with:
8 platys
6 neon
6 black skirt
I bought 4 dalmatian mollies saturday. Acclimatize them. Only one left. Parameters in zero. Ph 7.5
Two questions:
1. Why the dalmatians die? Are four too little? What i do wrong?
2. I have right now only one. Is she okay alone or need more to shoal?
I need advice. Theyre beautiful fish. Wat to do good for them.

Advertisement
GouramiGirl100
You have zero nitrate ? You have no live plants so I find this odd. How are you acclimating them exactly?

Advertisement
Noroomforshoe
This happened to me once or twice. Once with angels, once with dalmatian mollies. The mollies just did not last long. No one in my tank was sick or got sick after. Im gonna have to guess that they were very very inbred weak fish.
No, you did not have too few mollies, Yes you can keep one molly. You could try adding some salt in the tank. I tbs for every 5 gallons. It is great for the molly, which can actually be acclimated to and thrive in a saltwater tank, and it won't hurt the other species. Then add more salt to new water only when you do water changes. And if the mollie lives, consider buying a cheap hydrometer to stabilize the level of salt because that is the only way you are going to know how much salt is in the tank.
EDIT! = 1 tablespoon for each 5 gallons of water!

aqv
Sorry for the lack of knowledge, but which kind of salt? The one that uses for saltwater? Or exist another kind in the hobby?
You have zero nitrate ? You have no live plants so I find this odd. How are you acclimating them exactly?
Nitrates are in the yellow color of the test kit chart. Maybe not zero but low levels.

Noroomforshoe
You can buy a small box of aquarium salt cheep. If you went to chewy or Amozon, just look up aquarium salt.
You dont want Marine salt, It contains trace minerals which are good, but it may also contain Ph Buffers.
noniodized Table salt is the same compound "sodium chloride" as aquarium salt, but I dont know if aquarists choose to use it.
If someone recommends an Epsom salt bath for your fish, that is different, it is magnesium sulfate, and it has many uses but its not actually salt.

Neeno2022
Is it a salt? Yes yes it is chemically defined but not the same salt as aquarium or table salt(sodium chloride) which are one and the same. People prefer not to use table salt to avoid any additives and such
Good on OP for asking, there are so many different types of salts but for the case of this situation, aquarium salt is what you're probably looking for :)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mg13
Replies
Views
Nightwing
Replies
Views
John58ford
Replies
Views