Dainty Corys (c. Habrosus) And Water Flow Rate

Algonquin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi, I'm hoping to get some Dainty Corys next week... and I'm not sure what kind of flow rate they like? My HOB filter has an adjustable flow rate, but it seems pretty intense (although I'm used to a baffled filter for my betta tank, so who knows, it might be just fine as is!). I've also put in a small airstone, but I'm worried that the little guys will be blown all over the tank if it's all too strong. What kind of flow do they like best?

I can remove the airstone, and/or baffle the filter if needed.

thanks!

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would go a little slower is possible, but when you get the cories, adjust the flow rate to what they like. I would keep it low for the first week so they don't get stressed.

BobNJerry

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I love hasbrosus cory's ... i have a school of 10 and they are just the cutest little things.

They come from lagoons, streams and slow flowing waters- so they don't like a lot of current.

I use a sponge filter in their tank- and yes if there is a lot of current the poor little things just get blown around all over the place. =(

Algonquin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Agree, they are adorable - I love them already and I don't even have them yet
So maybe while I'm waiting for them to arrive, I'll work on baffling the filter. Will see how they like the airstone and then decide on whether or not to keep that in there.
Since you have some Habrosus BobNJerry, what do you find they like to eat? I've got frozen brine shrimp, freeze dried daphnia and micro betta pellets on hand for my betta. Was thinking they'd eat all of those plus some sinking algae wafers? Do you have any specific foods/brands you can recommend? (and anything else you can think of that would make their new home a super-happy one?) :joyful:

BobNJerry

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
cory's like to graze the bottom of the tank and they have really tiny mouths- so anything you give them has to be small enough for them to eat and also sink.

I feed my little guys every other day and i alternate - frozen daphnia (i use a baster to shoot it to the bottom of the tank so they can feed on it). I also give them sinking shrimp pellets and they'll all take turns grazing on the pellet.. and they seem to enjoy those - and then i also will crush up flake food into a really fine powder and let that sink to the bottom so they can chow down.

what i'm doing must be working because they are all plumping up they have good color- happy little wiggle butts lol

they also like to get air (like a betta) so you make sure they have access to the air at the surface.

bgclarke

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have panda cories in my 20 gallon high tank with a 200 GPH filter.
For a while I had a 250 GPH filter on it, and the flow was just too strong for them and they struggled to swim when they were in the front part of my tank.

I have pygmy cories in another tank.
I used to have a HOB filter on that one but rarely saw them.

I switched it to use a pair of double sponge filters plus a corner filter.

BobNJerry

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Also, imo i would take the airstone out-the surface current from the airstone might make it difficult for them to pop up and get air.

I think it's because they have hard scales and they can't get oxygen from the water- so they pop up and store the oxygen for later.

Algonquin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks for the tips - good idea on the turkey baster to get food to the bottom for them! Anyone ever feed them veggies, like a slice of zucchini? Not sure if that's something they eat?

I think they have a labyrinth organ like a betta, that's why they go the surface for air periodically?

Ok, so I'll take out the airstone and baffle the filter outflow, keep it mellow for them!

BobNJerry

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
they are omnivores (they like meat) so i don't think they'd like any veggies.

Yeah their a mellow bunch .. they like things quiet and chill- think of a slow flowing stream or a lagoon- it's real peaceful and quiet.. the water moves slowly.

one more thing before i forget- substrate- they need a soft substrate like sand .. nothing with hard edges like gravel- it will tear up their belly.

Algonquin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Great, I'm glad I asked - I will make some changes so it's set up more like my betta tank. I'll put some Indian Almond Leaves in there too - they'd probably like those!
No worries on the substrate, I'm using sand.
Now I'm just hoping my lfs comes through with the fishies, they weren't able to get them last week and said they'd try again this week. I've discovered that they are really hard to come by!
Fingers crossed!
Thanks again for all the great advice!

BobNJerry

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
they are hard to find!!

I first got 3- i didn't know much about them and i had an empty tank and thought - give them a try- after researching i learned they like to be in groups of 10 and they will loosely shoal- so i went on a hunt to find them. I'm very lucky i have 3 big box chains and three really good local fish stores near me and NO ONE had them- and by chance i called a pet shop near my job and he said he just got 30 in. i went that afternoon and he had 10 left!

my advice stay on top of your LFS so they know you want them lol

Algonquin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
No problem there - I've been annoying my lfs pretty consistently about it. I'm sure they'll be happy too once the corys arrive, then I'll finally leave them alone

pugletfan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
One way to baffle a hob filter is to put a coarse filter sponge on the outflow (the waterfall part). I have it strapped on with a rubber band.

Algonquin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes, I've done that on my betta tank. Used the water bottle trick too! seems to do the job just fine.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom