da new guy again

the_dukeman

Reaction score
Does anyone have any ideas on my practice of treating the refill water a week ahead of time? ???Since I use some aquarium salt it may affect the PH, so I've read. I am finding the PH of the refill water (treated the previous week) is always between 6.2-6.8, but the untreated tap water varies from 6.2-8.4. That week may make no difference, though. Anyone?

The Dukeman :

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi! Welcome to fishlore! First I want to say that you shouldn't putting aquarium salt in the water if you have a betta. Bettas are freshwater fish, not salt water and it could harm him/her. Salt is meant to be used as a medication only. Just letting you know.

I usually will just put tap water in those 1 gallon jugs that you buy water in or milk. Then just put the correct amount of conditioner in the water. That's how I do my treated water. Natalie

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would also recommend saving salt for medication situations that specifically call for it. I have a bunch of 1 gallon jugs also (bought some spring water at wally world) that i use to store treated tap water. Seems the easiest way, although you have to measure prime with an eyedropper. lol

the_dukeman

Reaction score
Thanks for your insight. I only put salt in the water at the urging of the folks at PetSmart. In fact it is suggested as standard practice for all but a few exceptions (Bettas not listed) on their Pet Parent Care Sheet. I assumed there was some new fishkeeping data since I last had a freshwater tank 8 years ago.

With everyone's help I'm sure A.B. will be thriving!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i've been advised wrongly so often at the pet store that i get all my advice here now from people like Rose who really know their stuff and don't have an interest in selling me stuff either.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom