D.I.Y. Sump questions. - Page 2

Stang Man

Okay so to cure rock non I'm speaking of 2 methods in a 30 gallon plastic tub place rock in and with a power head place it at middle of one end needs to be a very high flow pump and be prepared to do a lot of water changes after first and second week 50% each week for three weeks then check ammonia 4th let ride then on 5th week do a 75% water change only if ammonia is at zero if not wait tell it does! after a week that it happens then let nitrates gain for about 2-3 weeks after and do a water change once nitrites reach to mid leveldo a 20% change. after about three weeks later nitrites will drop and nitrates take into effect then cycle will be done then other things start to occur. Second way is to do same process in same matter but have it all in DT tank and start it this way as well. During duration of the process of benefical bacteria the rock will recover die off that occurs. during this duration do not have any lights except actinc only for no more than 4 hours a day this will help in die off period for rock to have a little photosynthius and still not cause an algae bloom that what needs to be avoided this will give rock a little light to help cure rock faster and no daylight can face on tank as well. When you reach to that point then we will chat about other things cool?

Stang Man

And another thing do not have any thing but rock in either 1st method or second will kill all being's during cycle process due to high ammonia levels!!!!!!!

Sarrixx

ok thanks for all the info!

Sarrixx

Would this be a good choice for a return pump? Been looking everywhere locally for one and can't seem to find any that I think would be suitable.

That's approx 790 US gallons, I think it should suffice but I want to hear the highly valued opinions of my fellow aquarists

Sarrixx

Also, would it be ok to use PVC glue for the overflow? According to someone in my household it "doesn't release anything into the water" but I'm not overly sure I trust this.

navyscuba

You can use PVC glue Is just a chemical reaction that melts the PVC pieces together. Is safe I did all my fittings with it and my fish are fine. Just remember to let it cure for a day or 2 and flush it with water cuz the first few days it will stink.

Sarrixx

Ok, thank you!

locoyo386

Here is mine and works awesome. You can see it in action on post #126 of this threat.

I saw the picture of your sump, and I have a question;
How do you provide water movement to the bottom of the first chamber, where I am assuming that water is coming into the sump?

navyscuba

I saw the picture of your sump, and I have a question;
How do you provide water movement to the bottom of the first chamber, where I am assuming that water is coming into the sump?

If you are talking about the area where all the filter media is no. The pipe that supplies water to the sump goes all the way to the bottom about 1" from the bottom and the water rises and gets filtered and then goes to the sand area.

locoyo386

If you are talking about the area where all the filter media is no. The pipe that supplies water to the sump goes all the way to the bottom about 1" from the bottom and the water rises and gets filtered and then goes to the sand area.

I see, cool.

susaneckert

OK I have a sump the guy I got the tank from had a over flow box. The sump is a 31 Gallon He had The a pump with PVC from the sump to the tank with 2 small loc lines one at each end of the tank My question is can I make just a T and have 3 small Loc Line on that T . so the bottom of the T connects to the pump that is in the sump. Or do I need a lot of bends . Can I use the Black PVC pipe with salt water reason being is the back of my tank is Black. I do realize that I will have to put in a couple of 90 degrees elbow to make it go into the sump to the pump at the bottom of the T I wish I could draw a picture on here would be easier to explain I hope you understand what I am talking about I will post a picture of what I have. I don't want to use what I was given do to how dirty it is much better to replace than to reuse. Thank you for any help

Here is the picture of what the guy had . What I would like to do where the Loc Lines go is make it straight across can I do that ? In the picture you can see that there is a T one to the left then the one to the right gos down across and back up I am wanting to put 3 loc lines instead of the 2 . I will be using a 1700 RIO pump at the end that gos into the sump. is this possible of a set up and can I use this size of pump thanks for what ever help I can get on this. I don't want to drill the tank. that is why I am doing a hang on style.

Here is my skimmer for the 112 G tank S/W and the pump that was with it

OK on this tank I got for free this is screwed into the stand and I have no idea what it is any idea's it has 2 electric plugs and then it has 2 of these rubber plugs and 2 switches LMK

there is no name on it so I can not even look it up LOL

Merged back to back posts.
Ken

Attachments

• DSC02812.JPG
    DSC02812.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 232
  • DSC02814.JPG
    DSC02814.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 230
  • DSC02815.JPG
    DSC02815.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 242
  • DSC02817.JPG
    DSC02817.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 212
  • DSC02819.JPG
    DSC02819.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 252

Stang Man

Here is the picture of what the guy had . What I would like to do where the Loc Lines go is make it straight across can I do that ? In the picture you can see that there is a T one to the left then the one to the right gos down across and back up I am wanting to put 3 loc lines instead of the 2 . I will be using a 1700 RIO pump at the end that gos into the sump. is this possible of a set up and can I use this size of pump thanks for what ever help I can get on this. I don't want to drill the tank. that is why I am doing a hang on style.

What kind of thing is that !!!! Ohhh boy You need some help ~!!??

OK on this tank I got for free this is screwed into the stand and I have no idea what it is any idea's it has 2 electric plugs and then it has 2 of these rubber plugs and 2 switches LMK

It's for a straight pin compact flouresant.

Here is my skimmer for the 112 G tank S/W and the pump that was with it

Nice I'll take it off your hands for you at a good cost!!! HeHeHe!!!

Ken

susaneckert

Does the skimmer look like the right size of my FREE 112 Gallon tank HAHAHA . I am still cleaning the tank.Its going on what 2 days of cleaning tells you how dirty it was. at least it is on my walk way now and out of the truck. Then I got nervouse so to make sure no one can take it even thou it right by my front door I filled it with water HAHAHA Lets see them move it now.

What kind of thing is that !!!! Ohhh boy You need some help ~!!??
Yea I know right!!! my thinking was just a T and then down to the sump to the pump Would that work out ok? Only different is I would have 3 loc lines going instead of 2 . what was that guy thinking. The reason why his tank was so dirty was his pump was not cycling the water G don't take a scientist to figure that out LOL he told me he was gone for 3 weeks and did not have any one to take care of it I got news for him it was longer than that. LOL Even the bristle worms he had in there where floating HAHA now that is sad But I will take care of that and get new and they will swim swI'm swim

Ken

Stang Man

I would plumb the tank correctly so that there is more head pressure and then you can use two loclines instead of three. Actually I would have to see the whole thing so that you can get my advice on plumbing the tank correctly. How bout that?

susaneckert

lol I don't want to drill the tank at this time LOL I still need to go get some vinegar to clean the tank out which I am doing today. I am hoping to have the tank in the house by this weekend I know my hub does not like moving it LOL its glass and supper heavy ! Once I get it in the house I will take pictures of this monster and post them for you can see what mess I have going on thanks a lot Stang. Hows your tank doing???? Still having fun fun!!! Oh how to get rid of long string alg.? I have the phosquard I just put in my tank 2 days ago Oh I got another clown for my 28 so I have 2 now and they are doing there shake shake shake!!! Thing happy happy!

Stang Man

lol I don't want to drill the tank at this time LOL I still need to go get some vinegar to clean the tank out which I am doing today. I am hoping to have the tank in the house by this weekend I know my hub does not like moving it LOL its glass and supper heavy ! Once I get it in the house I will take pictures of this monster and post them for you can see what mess I have going on thanks a lot Stang. Hows your tank doing???? Still having fun fun!!! Oh how to get rid of long string alg.? I have the phosquard I just put in my tank 2 days ago Oh I got another clown for my 28 so I have 2 now and they are doing there shake shake shake!!! Thing happy happy!

If the algae is really bad then use a Sea hare for a few weeks then take it back as soon as possible for the next person to use. These creatures are so cool you will want to keep them but will die if no algae is present, And they will clean it up big time!!!!

And I got a new frag and a tail spot blenny!!! Today!!!! Soon the tank will be a reef in a few months and I will be very happy!! Lol

susaneckert

So excited for you I will look up a tail spot blenny need to see what they look like LOL what kind of frag did you get? to think I have a 3-4 months before I will be able to do any thing with my tank now I will have 2 tanks in my bedroom try to switch bedroom with hubby he said now way LOL OH OH I got a Occ Clown and they are pairing up funny to watch them SHAKE there thing HAHAHA one shakes then the other shakes to funny

112 G tank 30 G sump

ok my tank all clean took about 4 days just to clean all the stuff off the tank and now I have live sand live rock and don't forget saltwater the pluming is done This guy Larry is going to drill just the one side of my tank this morning he looked at my skimmer and said my skimmer is for a 200 G + tank so I will be just fine. He will set up my tank and sump for me. I had him pick me up a new pump for my out take and my lovely hubby wanted to help he was making the hose hot in boiling water oh yes he had the hose on the pump and holding it in the boiling water I could of he melted the new pump lucky for me it was just the casing my bull in a china shop he is LOL at least it still works. Now it is a hurry up and wait GRRRR with tank will be a fish only tank for how long I don't know I will be getting some black clowns in about 6 months they just hatched so it worked out perfect for me I will be getting a bubble tip for the clowns that gos in the tank I just hope this one will stay in the sand or where the clowns can reach it my other one is under a rock no fish can get him GRR

Attachments

• IMAG0015_12966614787762.jpg
    IMAG0015_12966614787762.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 147
  • IMAG0014_12966613720712.jpg
    IMAG0014_12966613720712.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 147
  • IMAG0010_12966614471002.jpg
    IMAG0010_12966614471002.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 134

Stang Man

Looks good wish I would have seen it when it was a mess. I bet your tickled pink now that all that hard work is over? Now the hurry up and wait game is on!!! Lol I'm thrilled that you got a bigger tank!!! What's next a 300 gallon!!! Lol

xxSTEPHENSxx

Just a question... is that tank if front of a door?

Jealous BTW!!

susaneckert

Stephen yea it is infront of a door just a joining bathroom is all.Dont really use that door from my bedroom so no big deal LOL Thanks Stephen I got this tank Free off of craigslist LOL

Stang LOL hubby said no more fish tanks LOL I live in a a Mobile home and it won't hold any more weight he said. I told him to reinforce the floor hahaha.so I am doing the hurry up and W A I T !!!!! Game just want to say come on little Hubby told me I am compulsive over fish tanks I think I have to disagree hee hee OH I finally got the 6 bulb T 5 lights so that one went on my 55 G tank and the 8 Bulb went on my 115 G tank much better
50 G fresh water
55 G saltwater reef/fish 20 G sump
80 G fresh water (SHHH will be saltwater maybe by this summer )
115 G Salt water will be fish only (trying )lol 30 G sump
28 G salt water reef/fish
OHHHH so I might have a little bit of water in the house LOL 255 Gallon worth had to call home insurance try to get Flood they won't give it to me for my fish tanks HAHAHA.

xxSTEPHENSxx

Stephen yea it is infront of a door just a joining bathroom is all.Dont really use that door from my bedroom so no big deal LOL Thanks Stephen I got this tank Free off of craigslist LOL

ahhh... ok I see now. You got it for FREE... now i'm really jealous!

susaneckert

Stang would love to have a 300-500 but that would take a lot of work to my home hahaha Yes we threw away that guys hang on what a mess that was and we started from scratch. I ended up buying a larger pump but now it to big haha so we got a gate valve for it so we are able to control the water flow. Skimmer works GREAT its so big its more for a 200+ tank I am so excited about my tank in my bedroom only one problem now I need to make it quieter in the sump its pretty loud I'm not sure how I will do that I want it very quiet since I do have to sleep. I'm thinking of putting up sound board in side the stand and a back on it then maybe a sleeve over the pipe Like I did the 55 G any ideas?? LMK

Stang Man

So why is the sump making so much noise? Is it the inlet making noise?

susaneckert

its just from where the water flows into the sump where I have L/R at from the over flow. Is there like a piece of black foam I can get to quiet it down some. ?

Stang Man

its just from where the water flows into the sump where I have L/R at from the over flow. Is there like a piece of black foam I can get to quiet it down some. ?

Add more rubble around the pipe that should help alot, you may have to kind of cover it to the top with rubble. if you choose to use a foam or filter pad you will need to clean it every other day or so and that is a chore but I guess I would need a good pic of what the guy plumbed in for the sump. When you have a chance you may want to do that.

susaneckert

HI yea I added more rubble. the noise is coming more from the 1 1/4 inch pipe at the elbow right before it gos into the sump I don't think I will do a filler or foam don't want more work than I need to less is better. I need a silencer hahaha what we did on the other tank and its not loud at all is used 2 PVC pipes one with holes all the way down the pipe and then the other one covers that pipe I might end up doing that.My hub redid the plumping just used that guys as a guide we used the same size pipe just did not put that cut out in it so it is just a straight T

top left pic of the back of the tank where it is drilled into the tank that bottom elbow is what is making a lot of noise any ideas.Should my sump where I have my rubble be full? Or just to where the water is when it is running the top line that you see on the sump is when I turn off my system it will not rise any higher than that mark. That way I won't have any over flow on to my floors. Let me know what you think?

Attachments

• IMAG0023.jpg
    IMAG0023.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 175
  • IMAG0022.jpg
    IMAG0022.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 161
  • IMAG0024.jpg
    IMAG0024.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 171

Stang Man

I would try using 45 degree elbows for that part going into the sump. Try getting the rubble close to the pipe and that should cut down some of the noise.

susaneckert

Thanks I will let my husband know so I would use a 45 instead of a 90 and that will make it. quieter? OH I know the average corline is purple how do you go about getting the orange and other colors? I am wanting to work on the corline in my tank right now since I have to wait for it to cycle any ways .

should I do the 45 on both on the back of the tank and right at the sump like in the two pictures

Stang Man

Thanks I will let my husband know so I would use a 45 instead of a 90 and that will make it. quieter? OH I know the average corline is purple how do you go about getting the orange and other colors? I am wanting to work on the corline in my tank right now since I have to wait for it to cycle any ways .

Coraline will take time and is something that doesn't happen immediately. With good magnessium and calcium along with strotium and trace elements and the levels stay at near perfect levels this will create more ideal levels of coraline. it will take about 6 months or less for coraline to grow after the tank has completly cycled.

should I do the 45 on both on the back of the tank and right at the sump like in the two pictures

No just at the sump should you change to 45's.

susaneckert

OK I will have hub do that for me.Once I added more rubble it did quiet it down the noise is now in the back of the tank where the 90 gos under the stand to the sump. Not so much now on the sump Thanks for your help

Stang Man

I noticed that you have an air line tube going into top of the inlet what is that for?

susaneckert

How true is this

I was reading about coraline how true is this

Coraline algae loves actinic blue actinic light and hates white light. To give your coraline a boost, increase your blue light and decrease your white light.

Coraline grows best deep in the ocean where only blue spectrum light can penetrate. When starting a reef tank, allow the blue actinic bulbs to run 24 hours a day for two weeks.
Water Chemistry

Maintaining excellent water quality also plays an important role in growing of coralline algae. They are calcareous by nature like hard corals which requirs many of the same things corals do in order to flourish:

SG apx 1.024
Calcium
350 to 480 ppm
Carbonate Alkalinity
Between 2.5 and 4.0 meq/L (7-12 dKH)
Strontium
Low Phosphates (Close to Zero)
Low Nitrates (5 ppm or lower)
Regular water changes will keep the phosphate and nitrate levels in check as well as keeping the calcium, alkalinity and strontium at or near their optimum levels.

Using good protein skimmers also goes a long ways towards controlling nitrates and phosphates.

Remember that at first, it will appear as a lime green coating. Wait until about three months for you to see your rocks turn pink, then purple. Naturally, the degree of coloration will vary from tank to tank.

Stang Man

From my experience with using these type bulbs the actinic is the light that starts the growth of coraline but I don't agree with 24 hour lights on?? And for the daylight bulbs this is more of the spectrum that the ocean recieves during the day and depends on the kelvin factor of the bulb to reach certain depths that the corals and life need to grow. I noticed a big difference in coraline with using MH lights and seems to grow much slower than using flouresants but become more of the pinkish color than dark purple. I always used flouresant before and would run the actinic 2 hours before and two hours after the day lights at a total of 8-9 hours per day for the complete cycle of lighting per day you may want to try that if you haven't already.

susaneckert

Yea just board and doing some reading and came across it.I didnt think the 24 hour light this was correct in my mind. that's a lot o lighting beside what else could happen if you used that much light.The Air hose you see in my picture above hard for me to explain but it gos to my pipe that a box in the tank it adjusts the water level if that makes any since. I can raise and lower the water level that in my tank to be fuller or lower it drains into the sump. for when I lose power there is no way my tank or sump will over fill and leak all over my floor they are hard to adjust you have to get the exact spot the guy that I get my water from and does my drilling set it up for me. it is what siphons the water down to the sump. I do not explain things correctly I know LOL

I always used flouresant before and would run the actinic 2 hours before and two hours after the day lights at a total of 8-9 hours per day for the complete cycle of lighting per day you may want to try that if you haven't already.[/QUOTE]
As of right now I am not running any lights on my new set up the 115 G tank yea its not a 90 LOL is that ok to do? Or should I run lights like you normally would.
On my 55 G I had a lot of algae long hair so I check my phosate and it was a little high got that down I am using the sea chem phos. remover the one in the bag. now most of the Algae is gone hurah and I am running more blue lights for now since it seems that it is helping to keep it under control My clam I got for free is doing very well. to my surprise I really did not think it would make it since the guy tore his foot off of the rock. it is opening completely and closes when it since's any thing near it. I'm noy worring about fish at this time I do have a 6 line wass in this tank and a clown then of course the snails crabs . My bubble tip still wants to hide he came out for like 2 days now he is moving back into the rocks first time I have seen the bubble tip since I got it about 3 months ago its a nice bright green just wish I could see it more often.

Stang Man

As long as the water perimeters are at standard levels and have been for some time you can use the lights, It's when the tank is cycling that you should not run the lights because of the nitrates at high levels causes algeal blooms along with if the tank has phosphates in the water along with nitrates that is things get really bad for hair algeas and other types of algeas cause the algae loves those type conditions and will blossom severly if not corrected.

I was just wondering about the inlet that's why I asked I have seen people use an air line tubing to quite the noise going down the pipe to the sump, I have this on my 70 but don't like it and have been thinking about changing it because it pulls a lot of air down with the water as it travels to the sump and bubbles the water alot, So I am going to get a plastic gate valve soon as I can I have not found one here in the little home town, From what I have seen about this is that it slows the water down of course you have to adjust accordingly but will put the water at the same speed that the pump goes to the tank and is supposably super quite. I do have a plastic ball valve but I think the reason for the gate valve is easier and more precise to adjust the flow going down the drain pipe. That is why I asked!!

susaneckert

That is what I thought about the lights to my mind just is not working LOL . I have a gate valve on mine too I bought to big of a pump so I had to adjust the water flow it works real good now my drain could not keep up with the water flow so my tank was filling up to fast.But even with the gate valve I still get a lot of noise in the drain pipe not so much on my sump alls you hear is water running in the pipe. I need to find a way to fix that part makes it hard to sleep some times.Since I have this one in my bedroom. I can hear it in my living room with my door shut its so loud.I'm ready to get some sound board and wrap the pipes LOL who knows it might work.

Stang Man

That is what I thought about the lights to my mind just is not working LOL . I have a gate valve on mine too I bought to big of a pump so I had to adjust the water flow it works real good now my drain could not keep up with the water flow so my tank was filling up to fast.But even with the gate valve I still get a lot of noise in the drain pipe not so much on my sump alls you hear is water running in the pipe. I need to find a way to fix that part makes it hard to sleep some times.Since I have this one in my bedroom. I can hear it in my living room with my door shut its so loud.I'm ready to get some sound board and wrap the pipes LOL who knows it might work.

Ahh so the pump is to big and you have a gate valve on it!! Not a good idea, It puts a lot of strain on the pump which leads to a hotter running motor and won't last very long it will burn the pump out within due time.

Here is something else that comes to mind, The device for the tank to keep it from over flowing sump, Is it fully closed at the top? Or does it get air passage thru the fitting and draws air down the pipe?

The noise that you here is it coming from the pipe or is it from the sump area when water exits the pipe to the sump? Can you give an example of the sound that it is making?

susaneckert

The pump is 1 size larger than I should of bought if I would of went smaller it would not work the gate valve is open a little over half way. The down drain pipe that is in the picture is where the noise is coming from right at the elbow.

Attachments

• Gatevalve.JPG
    Gatevalve.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 140
  • noise.jpg
    noise.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 125

Stang Man

The pump is 1 size larger than I should of bought if I would of went smaller it would not work the gate valve is open a little over half way. The down drain pipe that is in the picture is where the noise is coming from right at the elbow.

Okay so the noise is from the gate valve and also the 90 fittings can hubby change thoose out to 45's? And open gate valve just a tad more.

susaneckert

Yea I can get hubby to change the 90 to 45 not a problem I am getting a powder Blue this week it is a med size. I had my friend check my tank for cycle and he said it is done. I had a shrimp in the tank and now it is gone. YEA so excited he is going to a whole sale house this week and he is going to pick up some fish for me. can't wait powder blue and a blue hippo I'm going to get a pair of Black clowns too I just love the clowns. What is the difference between the powder brown and the lavender tang google says they are the same but they have different prices just was wondering is all

Stang Man

Yea I can get hubby to change the 90 to 45 not a problem I am getting a powder Blue this week it is a med size. I had my friend check my tank for cycle and he said it is done. I had a shrimp in the tank and now it is gone. YEA so excited he is going to a whole sale house this week and he is going to pick up some fish for me. can't wait powder blue and a blue hippo I'm going to get a pair of Black clowns too I just love the clowns. What is the difference between the powder brown and the lavender tang google says they are the same but they have different prices just was wondering is all

I would just stick with one tang and not two, They get aggresive toward each other in an enclosed system. but who knows you may get lucky but chances are slim.

susaneckert

I had 2 tangs before and they got along fine but hubby clean the tank for me and stressed them out and they ended up getting ick . and died grrr

Stang Man

I had 2 tangs before and they got along fine but hubby clean the tank for me and stressed them out and they ended up getting ick . and died grrr

That doesn't sound right to me??? Shame on you blamming your hubby!! Lol

susaneckert

HAHAHA my hubby is way to aggressive for any fish tank LOL( BULL IN CHINA SHOP ) he was just trying to help me since I was pretty sick for a while he even killed 2 of my fresh water fish this pass weekend I have told him time after time you MUST WARM the water up before adding to tank he put them in SHOCK!! At least he didnt drain the whole tank thank god I would of lost every thing. MY drum of NSW I keep out side so that water is pretty cold and my fresh water tank he did not warm up and did not add the water conditioner to the water before he put it in the tank I just love that man of mine HAHAHA

Stang Man

Well that should have teached him!!

susaneckert

I sure hope so he felt so bad. I know it teached me haha "dont let hubby do water changes with out me there" LOL

Stang Man

Well be nice to him cause he does love you and meant well! Hey just like I do!!!! Hehehehehe!!! We all learn our lessons and that is what it is.

susaneckert

for sure! I learn my lesson and I think he did to.

Stang Man

for sure! I learn my lesson and I think he did to.

It happens to all of us and a lesson learned is the good in a way and bad in another!!!

susaneckert

HUb getting so good at water changes now hurrahhhhh!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • ChrissFishes01
  • Sump
Replies
Views
ChrissFishes01
  • DaddyDeet
  • Sump
Replies
Views
DaddyDeet