:D I got a Python

1. jersey

jersey Valued Member Member

sorry I just had to share my excitement haha. I just put my back out the other day so I convinced myself it would be okay to pay the extra money for the python. definitely worth it!

2. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Enjoy!

3. cm11599ps

cm11599ps Well Known Member Member

I only wish I discovered the python sooner. After 12 years of dumping bucket after bucket from the 55 down the tub I finally went and bought a python last year.

This single tool revitalized my interest in the hobby and has me doing weekly changes now!

4. OP
    OP
    jersey

haha holy i couldnt imagine doing bucket water changes on anything bigger than my 29. i used a 3 gallon bucket so each one is approx 10%

5. cm11599ps

cm11599ps Well Known Member Member

I didn't want to start a new thread on a python so hopefully someone will check in.

My python is 50'. The distance to my faucet is only about 10-15' so I really don't need that much hose but my plan was to run the house outside a window in the spring/summer to water the plants. One year later I still haven't done that. lol

I hook my python to my faucet and put the other end in the tank and then turn on the faucet. Once the hose and gravel tube are filled with water I unscrew the drain plug while my faucet is still running. The water drains out of my tank but it seems to do it VERY slowly. It seems to be SO much slower then I think it should take.

I also went and bought some used tanks yesterday. There was a 46 on the second floor of the house and I was emptying the tank water to the downstairs bathroom sink. They didn't have the proper faucet so I wasn't able to fill the hose the correct way. I had someone kink the faucet end of the hose while I poured water down the gravel tube to fill up the entire length of hose from the 2nd floor. Once the entire length was filled I put it in the tank and it STILL was ridicously slow. A syphon from the 2nd floor should not be so slow. The tank was half full and it still took 10-15 minutes.

I checked all the screw connections for blockage and everything is clear. All the valves were open too. I came up with 2 possible causes.

1) The 50' hose provides too much resistance to the flowing water so water can't pass as fast as a shorter hose.

2) Perhaps next WC I'll fill the line and then unscrew the hose from where it connects to the green plastic piece attached to the faucet. That piece seems to be a little tight and might be restricting the flow.

Any ideas?

6. OP
    OP
    jersey

do you have low water pressure in your house? if its not strong enough that could be slowing it because on my package it says to turn the faucets up or down to adjust the speed.