Cypress Wood

Fishgirl1234

Reaction score
Sorry to post but I can't find much related to this topic.
I have just bought a 20cm piece of cypress wood, as expected its super light. After some research and realising how light the wood actually is, I don't think soaking it will do anything. Are there better methods to make it sink? I'm worried about boiling it just because of how delicate the wood seems.
Thanks in advance.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldn't add any conifer wood to your aquarium just yet. I think conifer wood is full of toxic substances that the tree uses to protect itself. I don't think you should risk it until finding out more.

If you can locate lakes in your locality, wood that has soaked for years and has washed up on the shore of the lake is often a great free source. This is the type of wood that will not rot away quickly in the aquarium as all the toxic substances have already washed away and a good solid structure remains. Mine has lasted decades. It may be oak but I cannot be sure.

OP
F

Fishgirl1234

Reaction score
Redshark1 said:
I wouldn't add any conifer wood to your aquarium just yet. I think conifer wood is full of toxic substances that the tree uses to protect itself. I don't think you should risk it until finding out more.

If you can locate lakes in your locality, wood that has soaked for years and has washed up on the shore of the lake is often a great free source. This is the type of wood that will not rot away quickly in the aquarium as all the toxic substances have already washed away and a good solid structure remains. Mine has lasted decades. It may be oak but I cannot be sure.
Thank you, if that's the case I don't think I'll risk it, its a shame because the piece was really expensive, but I did buy it off an online pet store. I have other driftwood, I just really liked the unique look of the cypress.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
@Fishgirl1234 Wood sold by a pet store should be suitable for its purpose. Don't give up yet if you paid a lot for it. I'm just saying be cautious and make sure it is really fine to use.

I don't have this wood here, I just know that no conifers I have access to are suitable.

Edit: It seems it is OK and a lot of people use it.

Is this the kind of thing you have?

The seller describes anchoring the wood onto pieces of slate (probably waste materials from a demolition site).

I'd suggest drilling a ceramic tile (I have spare tiles left over from doing the kitchen) with a ceramic tile / glass drill bit and fixing the wood to it with a stainless steel screw.

As Swamp Cypress (Taxodium distichum) is a softwood it may break down quicker than my oak.

New Threads