Cylinder Tank Opinions

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Bearsandtulips, Mar 8, 2019.

1. BearsandtulipsNew MemberMember

I got some platys about a week ago. They are all females so I was not expecting fry, but apparently a female was pregnant when I bought her. I have about 30 fry now and luckily I caught most of them. I put them in a floating fish breeder In my tank. I was hoping to grow them out some then give them away to my fishkeeping friends or transport them to a local fish store. I already have a 29 gallon, two 10 gallons, and one 2.5 gallon tank in my bedroom. That being said I do not have space to set up another 10 gallon for these fry. I found a 3 gallon cylinder aquarium kit at walmart. With a filter and heater would it be harmful to put these fry in a cylinder shaped aquarium? I can also put my used filter media in the new tank to help make sure the water is cycled. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I just wanted to add this would be very temporary. The purpose of the tank would be to let them grow some before transportation.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  2. Morpheus1967Well Known MemberMember

Why would it be harmful? They only care about the quality of the water, not what it is in. Best of luck!

Also wanted to add...I would be more concerned about them getting sucked into the filter intake more than anything else.

3. BearsandtulipsNew MemberMember

Thank you for your help. Also I will make sure to get a sponge filter or a sponge to put over the intake if needed.