Cyclying questions

1. anunez91 Member Member

Im currently setting up a 29g community tank, ive got all the essentials (filter, heater, substrate, ect.) I want to start cycling my tank now while im saving up for everything else (decorations, air pump, different foods, the fish themselves) This could take over a month to save up for and i want to do a fishless cycle. How would i go about drawing it out long enough to where i have a sustainable amount of Beneficial bacteria when i do finally get everytihng else? would i be able to constantly feed the bacteria with ammonia for an extened period? any help would be appreciated.

2. steed1172 Well Known Member Member

3. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Cycling can take a while anyway - but yes, I think you could keep feeding the tank whatever ammonia source you decide to use to cycle with.

In fact, some people probably do this with their quarantine tanks (guessing)

4. anunez91 Member Member

ive read over that already, thanks =] my question is. The tank will probably finish cycling way before i have everything saved up, would i keep adding the halved amount of ammonia and do the weekly water changes till im ready? thats what makes the most sense to me, i just want to make sure im on the right track. I also have a good source of bacteria from a well estableshed tank. Im planning on using some substrate, water and filter muck from my source to seed the tank, so, as long as i keep feeding with the halved ammonia and doing water changes, it should be fine?

5. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

water changes aren't necessary until you get to the point that you are ready for the fish, and i wouldn't personally half the amount of ammonia. I think you're going to have a strong bacterial colony.